Travel into Cinque Terre

Jan 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Travel into Cinque Terre

Rooms are booked! Now working on the routes to get there. Can anyone help? We will probably fly out of New York and I'm looking for mileage tickets.
How much of a difference in time & distance and expense would it be to fly into Rome (and train the rest of the way) versus flying into Pisa (+train)? Not sure if I can get those mileage seats into Pisa.
All advice appreciated!
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Perhaps someone else will have the cost differences in their head, but the time difference is 4-5 hours, not counting time you might have to wait at Roma Termini for a train. There are more frequent trains from Pisa Centrale.

You might look for a timely and cheap flight from Rome to Pisa.

Which airline are your miles with?
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
MaureenB

You could fly to Florence, also.
>-

Jan 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Oh! I thought Florence and Pisa were one in the same--duh! Which would be closer?
This is why I ask you guys soooo many questions---so helpful!
Didn't realize that Rome was so far away. How long from Pisa to CT?
We have miles on Continental & US Air. Not quite enough on Continental and the US air flights are not that good. But once we figure out where to fly into, I'll get more serious about looking.
Jan 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM

If this trip is prior to 11/1/08, you may have been premature in booking your hotels. Most airline programs allow award reservations within 330 days of the flight, so if your trip is for June (for example), the limited award seats could have been booked back in August 2007 and may now been gone.

If your first destination is the CT, which way you go depends more on what flights you are able to get with your miles. If you can use your miles on Lufthansa (one of their Alliance partners), your flight options are slightly better (not to mention that the USAir flights include multiple stops).

What does the rest of your itinerary look like? Would it make sense to spend a day or more in Rome before heading to the CT?
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM

I see from another post that your reservation at a CT hotel is in September. You need to work on your frequent flyer tickets NOW. September award seats have been available since October/November 2007 and may already be gone.
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Jean,
Our plan is to go to Cinque Terre first--then travel down to Positano (realizing it will be a long day) Spend 5 nights there then up to Rome for the last 5 days and fly home from there. Do you know which airport would be the MOST convienient to CT? We know that we may not be able to get miles now---so we're looking for prices, too.
Jan 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Pisa !
Delta goes 4 days weekly via JFK
Jan 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

THANKS, BOB.
PISA IT WILL BE!
NO MILES ON DELTA, SO I'LL WATCH PRICES FOR NOW.