Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to take the train to Cinque Terre: from Genoa or Pisa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could choose either airport to catch the train to Cinque Terre which would you choose: Genoa or Pisa? Traveling early May. I can leave from either. I imagine airfares are comparable. Do you need to make train reservations in USA before arriving at airport?
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Pisa has some non-stop flights from the US (Delta flies JFK/PSA). I don't ever hear of anyone from the US flying into or out of Genoa so I don't imagine the prices are comparable or the schedules aren't good. The airports that don't require changing planes in Europe are Milan, Rome, Venice (Venice has less than Milan/Rome) and Pisa. All other airports require a flight change in Europe.

Many of the trains to CT are old, slow R trains. They don't sell out and there is no reserved seating so there is no point in booking in advance.

At Pisa airport, you would take the train to Pisa Centrale and on to CT.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM

We took the train to CTfrom Florence with a stop in Pisa Centrale and Pisa Airport. It was a simple trip so I would recommend Pisa.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM

It's simpler to get out of the Pisa airport and connect with the trains that go to le Cinque Terre. Genoa is more complicated unless you take a taxi to Brignole station.

However, airfares are usually not comparable -- so first check that.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM

I just noticed this statement:

>>I don't ever hear of anyone from the US flying into or out of Genoa so I don't imagine the prices are comparable or the schedules aren't good. <<

Isn't imagination a funny thing? Especially when it is based on silence.

Most people don't fly in and out of Genoa because they don't think to look for flights there. There are some 4 or 5 flights per day back and forth from Rome airport, which makes it a breeze to fly inoto Genoa if you can get a good flight to Rome. There are daily connections through Paris and Madrid, and perhaps still through London, Munich and Frankfurt. I forget. In summertime you can can usually connect through Barcelona and Brussels as well.

Airline pricing is highly variable and unpredictable. At any given moment, a flight that lands you in Genoa may cost less than a non-stop to Milan or Pisa. At some other moment, it may cost more. Depends on where you coming from, etc.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for picking that up and for explaining the positive possibilities of choosing the airport at Genoa rather than Pisa and then moving on to CT. I had a feeling you could catch a good fare at that airport.

But as far as convenience, getting to CT, Pisa seems to have the advantage. Coming from NY, my searches now have shown the airfares are about the same (from NY to Pisa or Genoa). Believe it or not.

Any predictions as to when is the best time to purchase the tickets for our May trip? The fares are around $1200 per person at Kayak, Ita,Vayama. Bing. And these flights to Pisa are not direct. Guess that must depend on what day of the week you fly.

Thanks very much again.