Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Pisa - Cinque Terre - Florence itinerary assistance

Pisa - Cinque Terre - Florence itinerary assistance

Mar 17th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Original Poster
Pisa - Cinque Terre - Florence itinerary assistance

Please assist with the Pisa – Cinque Terre section of our itinerary. We are flying in from Barcelona on Friday the 14th of September on an early evening flight (5.50 pm - if it is on time!). We have accommodation booked in Florence on Sunday the 16th of September and would like to be there by mid-afternoon. We want to sightsee in Pisa and as we are unlikely to get another opportunity to see the Cinque Terre we would like to do at least a day trip – I know this is not ideal but at least we get to have some idea of the area. Would have liked to see Lucca but do not think we have enough time.

I can see only two options: (1) Book accommodation in Pisa for both the 14th and 15th of September and do a day trip from Pisa to Cinque Terre on the 15th, see Pisa sights on the 16th morning and continue to Florence OR (2) After landing, continue on to Manarola (or another town?) on the 14th of September and stay there that night, sight-see that day and leave the next morning to see Pisa sights (leave luggage @ locker storage) and then continue on to Florence.

Which is more doable? I need help in trying to organise this particularly in regards to the logistics?
Mar 18th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Another possibility, although the train times are slightly longer, is to travel immediately on arrival to Lucca (about half an hour). Then take a day trip to Cinque Terre and visit Pisa on the morning before heading to Florence. That would give you a little time to see Lucca. It's tight but another alternative.

If you are going to travel to Cinque Terre, think about what you want to experience, as it's a fair journey. Most people go to hike, so if you want to do that you'll need to get an early start, especially as it could be warm. You can always decide on the day, depending upon how energetic you feel and spend the day in Lucca if you feel like it.
Mar 18th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I am interested in this thread....what could you expect to do in Cinque Terra in a day - average fitness as we are not 21 any more!
What advantage would there be to add an additional day to our plans and stay two nights in the area....and if so what are the recommendations on where to stay.
I know there is a train between certain villages. We are flexible to day as close to the starting point as necessary.
Mar 18th, 2012, 03:41 AM
there are trains that specifically do the Cinque..Hop on Hop off and just revel in the scenery. Walk from Riomaggiore to Manerola or reverse, quite scenic cliff walk about 20 minutes. As far as fitness goes we were in our 70s when we did this and now in our 80s would still do the train and walk..Only had a day as we were off a cruise and came from the south end of Cinque, stopped in all the towns except one (?? too much of a stair climb from the station)..2 years before daughter and I came from the north, hopped on hopped off, walked and returned all in a few hours but it was raining hard. However this area is touristy and a weekend jaunt for many Italians..Crowded but again don't miss it..
Mar 18th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Have done this flight in the past. lucca.info is not far from
Pisa just hop regional train there. From there a short hop
to La Spezia then into the cinqueterre.com torrettas.com
Manarola our fav town/hotel. A little tight but train is cheap and doable in the time you have. Make more time if you can. booking.com other nice lodgings. www.metropole.it is another one of our favs 1 block from SML/Portofino train station in a PERFECT location.

Happy Trails!
Mar 18th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I would take the suggestion to stay in Lucca for two nights, taking a day trip to Cinque Terre and visiting Pisa on your way to Florence.

Not sure how you want to view CT - we split our hike into two days, Vernazza to Monterossa one day and Vernazza to Riomaggiore the following day. Because Vernazza has not recovered from the floods and mud slides, I would consider training from Riomaggiore to Corniglia and hiking back. If you don't want to hike, you can take the train or, sometimes, the ferry from village to village. The views from the sea are spectacular.

Three or four hours in Pisa should allow you to see the cathedral and leaning tower before you leave for Florence.
Mar 18th, 2012, 06:18 AM
There's a good description of a sensible one day trip to the Cinque Terre here: http://www.tuscanyitaly.info/cinquet...inqueterre.htm It includes an easy hike, and both boat and train rides, which gives a pretty good experience of the area in a single day.
Mar 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster
OK so I like the idea of staying in Lucca and seeing the CT as a day trip from Lucca. Visiting Pisa in the morning on the way to Florence.

SO please help/confirm the logistics of this please?
**Travel to Lucca via the bus as it stops closer to our accommodation or by train?
**Travel from Lucca to CT (Le Spezia)by train - does this go via Pisa or is this a different line?
**Regional train from Le Spezia to one of the CT towns - we will not be hiking but would like to do the Via dell'Amore walk between Manarola and Riomaggiore plus see the other towns (will prob not have enough time to see all) via boat/train. Not sure what order to do these in and which town it is best to finish in to leave for Lucca?
**Travel from CT to Lucca by train via Le Spezia
**Travel via bus from Lucca to Pisa - bus drops off at Field of Miracles
**Pisa to Florence by train
Mar 18th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Easy to check train timetables using www.trenitalia.com. Buses I'm not sure about but they will almost certainly have timetables online.

One advantage of taking the train to Lucca is that you know where to get off more easily. Identifying the correct bus stop can be trickier, although you could ask the driver to let you know.

In terms of train travel, the Cinque Terre towns are so close together that it doesn't really matter which one you choose to arrive or depart from.

Consider whether you want to take your luggage with you to Pisa or return to Lucca. There may be a luggage storage facility in Pisa but not sure.
Mar 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster
Thank you for all your help. Any more suggestion or feedback re logistics of my plan or recommendations for accommodation in Lucca.
Mar 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Cinque Terre is a longer trip (with more train changes) from Lucca, than from Pisa if that matters to you. To get there from Lucca, you will have to change trains in either Pisa or Viareggio.

There are bus options from the airport to Lucca.

There's also a bus from the airport to Viareggio.
Mar 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Please clarify that you're landing at the airport in Pisa.

You can easily/quickly continue on by train from the Pisa airport to your first destination. But if you're arriving at the Florence airport, you must first go into the city (bus or taxi) to get on a train. This also means you must first travel east (to Florence) before you travel west (to Pisa/Lucca or CT).

FWIW, if landing at Pisa, unless you intended to explore Pisa in depth I would head immediately to CT for two nights. See Pisa on the way to Florence and day trip to Lucca from Florence if it's a priority. Some people love Lucca; others (like me) were underwhelmed.

If you want to climb the Leaning Tower, you must have a timed reservation.

Mar 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Original Poster
Jean - we are arriving in Pisa.

I think I prefer the idea of going to CT for the two nights and missing out on Lucca - another town is a big stretch, particularly because this would include a Saturday.

Which town does everyone reckon we should stay at in? Any hotel/b+b recommendations?

Search this Thread