Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with S. Italy - Sicily itinerary

Jan 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi - could you Italy experts take a look at my itinerary, especially the Sicily part? Suggestions welcome,
including transport (not a car) and hotels (under 80 euro for a single, if possible!)

Apr 9 - fly into Naples, after one night recovering from jet lag near Gatwick.
Naples - 3 nights (L'alloggio dei Vassalli) - I figure there's more than enough to see in Naples to fill two days, right?
Ferry to Sorrento - my preference was to stay in Amalfi or Praiano, but in April I think I'd be better off in Sorrento for transport
Sorrento - 6 or 7 nights, depending on whether I stay in a hotel or apartment, day trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Paestum, and the coastal towns
Train to Syracuse (via Cirumvesuviano to Naples? bus to Salerno?)
Syracuse - 2 or 3 nights depending on length of time in Sorrento. Stay in Ortygia, day trip to Noto (is this doable?)
Train to Taormina, join 11 night Rick Steves tour (itinerary at tinyurl.com/2nfcjs) - includes Mt. Etna, Syracuse Arch. Park, Villa Casale, Agrigento, Zingaro National Park, Monreale, Cefalu
Tour finishes in Palermo May 2 - this is a Friday, the day after the May 1st holiday, but it looks like the museums will be open.
Palermo - 2 nights
Erice - 2 nights
Enna - 2 nights
Lipari - 3 nights
Train or ferry to Naples for 1 night before flying out

Thanks
Jan 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM

TTT
Jan 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM

A day trip from Ortygia Island to Noto is definitely doable if you have a car. It would be an hour drive or less. I don't think that you need 2 nights in Erice. It is an amazing town, but it is a very small medieval town on top of a hill and you can definitely see everything in one night. Although, from Erice if you have a car you could visit Trapani or Marsala. The Florio vineyard tour in Marsala is very interesting.

Same goes for Enna- 1 night there would be plenty.

Lipari is a beautiful island and very relaxing. I think you'll be happy with 3 nights there. If you're up for it you should rent scooters and drive around the island. There is some of the most beautiful turquoise water around the island.
Jan 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Zoe. However, I really don't want to rent a car. I'm traveling alone, and have trouble driving and navigating at the same time. Plus,it's been years since I drove a stick shift, and then both my knees and the gear box complained! Is it reasonable to do Noto as a day trip by public transport?
Jan 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Jan 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
kja

Hi, thursdaysd -

Sounds like a great trip!

> I figure there's more than enough to see in Naples to fill two days, right?

Absolutely! Depending on what you want to see and do, you could easily fill at least four days in Naples!

> day trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Paestum, and the coastal towns

You might also consider stopping in Salerno - I loved both the cathedral and the waterfront there.

> Stay in Ortygia, day trip to Noto (is this doable?)

Yes - Noto is easily reached by train from Siracusa (and the train station is near Ortygia). Takes about an hour each way as I recall.

> Enna - 2 nights

I agree with ZoeB: One night is probably enough time there.

> Train or ferry to Naples for 1 night before flying out

The ferry doesn't run every night, but it can be a wonderful way to travel from Lipari to Naples.

Hope that helps!
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kja! You're right about the ferry, it doesn't run on a Sunday night, so I have a choice of another night in Naples, a night in Milazzo, or maybe doing the Egadi islands instead, after Erice.
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM
kja

I forgot to mention that walking to the heart of Noto from the train station is a bit of an uphill walk - quite do-able for some, perhaps less so for others. I believe there are also regular tour buses from Ortygia to Noto. Do check into it - Noto is amazing!
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM

There is no reason to take a tour bus from Syracuse to Noto. There are very comfortable buses that take you very close to the historic center.
www.interbus.it
Jan 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the bus link! Since the trip report I just finished was called the "sore foot tour", saving steps sounds like a great idea!

Looks like it will be three nights in Syracuse - any other day trip recommendations?
Jan 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM

With three nights in Syracuse, I wouldn't plan another day trip.

There's plenty to see and do in Syracuse: archeological area, archeological museum, Museo Bellomo, a Caravaggio at Santa Lucia al Sepolcro, the Duomo that incorporates a Temple of Athena from the 5th c. BC, lots of lovely little streets with interesting palazzi...

And if you find yourself with nothing to do, you can always sit in one of the cafes on Piazza Duomo, one of the loveliest piazze in Italy.
Jan 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I'll be going back to Syracuse, and visiting at least the Archaeological Park with the tour group. I'm doing it own my own first because I wanted to stay on Ortygia, and also make sure I made it to Noto. I'd like to get to Ragusa as well, but that's two hours each way, so I was wondering if there was somewhere closer.

Also, has anyone visited the Egadi islands? How do they compare them to the Aeolian?
Jan 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Zerlina is right-don't even bother with a car or train, the bus is the easiest way to get to Noto and also fairly inexpensive, takes about an hour and buses leave regularly.

I've spent time in both the Egadi Islands and the Aeolian Islands-they don't really compare, each is fantastic in its own way. If you want to see volcanoes, don't miss the Aeolian, Vulcano is a great hike with a nice sulfur smell and seeing Stromboli erupt is like nothing else.

The Egadi Islands are gorgeous, and you aren't going to find nearly as many tourists there which appealed to me. It's a great place to hike and enjoy a slower pace of life. It definitely ranks in my top 10 most beautiful places I've ever been. Let me know if you have any other questions on either Aeolian/Egadi islands.
Jan 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

SicilianSailor - thanks so much! The Egadi Islands sound like exactly my kind of place! And the logistics will work out better, too.

I'll be going up Mt. Etna, and spending several days in sight of Mt. Vesuvius, so I don't think I need to add a third volcano.

Any recommendations for places to stay on the Egadi Islands?