Sicily....where to stay?

Search

Sicily....where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily....where to stay?

Planning to go to Sicily for 2 weeks but am unsure where to stay. We will be flying to/ from Palermo, and am undecided whether to stay in just one place or to divide the two weeks between two different places.
I'd rather not hire a car so both locations have to be easily accessible by public transport. If anyone can help with some suggestions, it would be much appreciated.
At the moment, due to proximity to Palermo airport, seven nights in Palermo and seven nights in Cefalu (spending some time in a beach resort is a priority), seems the most logical option.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:33 PM

Two weeks is a good long time in Sicily. You should be able to see much of the island. Is that your intent on this trip? If so, are you planning on relying solely on public transportation? I think it would be easier to rent a car and be free to explore the island on my own schedule. Palermo and Cefalu are fairly close together. If it were me, I'd spend four nights in Palermo, five nights in Taormina, three nights in Agrigento and then the final night or two in Palermo again or Cefalu.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM
itlyen

Don't miss a night in Erice on the mountaintop. Magic!!

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:50 PM

I was wondering if Itlyen could give a recommendation for a place to stay in Ercie.We are going to Scicly next year and would like to know any hotels you enjoyed. We like to stay in 4 to 5 star hotels. Any restaurant suggestions would also be appreciated.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:31 PM

I agree with Grinisa, 2 weeks is a very long time to spend in Sicily, especially in just Palermo and Cefalu which are so close together. We did half of Sicily without a car, on the trains and it was simple.
From Palermo we took the train to the town, which name escapes me now, and took the hydrofoil to the Aeolian Islands, then returned and took the train to Taormina...you must see the east side of the island, it is beautiful and has so many ruins...from there you can easily train down to Siracusa...stay in the part called Ortygia. At this point we rented a car to do the southern part of the Island, so my advice stops here.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:34 PM

Also interested in hotels in Erice, although looking for more along the 2-3 star variety. Not finding much online.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:00 AM

Out of a guidebook (but I thought it might help!):

Elimo
www.charmerelax.com
Corso Vittorio Emanuele 75
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.
Don't really want to hire a car as we're just looking to have a relaxed time in one or two places and make only a handful of day trips out of those areas. Want to know where the best base city is for trips to Erice, Agrigento etc. I have heard that Taormina is much more spectacular than Cefalu but am unsure whether the journey from Palermo airport is easy; hence the relatively easy option of staying in Cefalu. Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:13 AM
GAC

Two weeks in Sicily is adequate to "scratch the surface" of this remarkable tourist destination. One week in Palermo is great, but (for me) one week in Cefalu is MUCH too long. I would instead spend several nights on the eastern coast (Taormina and/or Siracusa), plus a few nights on the southern coast (Agrigento or Ragusa). The best base city for Erice is Trapani (although it's doable from Palermo as well). Agrigento is doable from Palermo, but you may want to spend at least one night there. Public transportation to all these sites is more than adequate.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM

For those interested in a hotel in Erice: we stayed at the Hotel Elimo last year for two nights. The room we had there was somewhat peculiar as it was more like a suite with a separate bedroom in addition to a sitting area with a loft. The view was nice overlooking Trapani. The owners were very helpful, although they spoke next to no English at all. We loved Erice, especially at night when you could look out at all the twinkling lights below in Trapani. Also, because of its altitude be sure to bring along a sweater or jacket.
We also visited Cefalu and I agree with the other posters that you would be bored staying there for a week. There would be much more to see by basing yourself in Taormina.