Travel in England's northwest lake region

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understand that June, July, and August are the best weather times for this area, but since those are high season...what are the conditions in September and October? I am considering travel to the area, and want my "best shot" at good days for hiking, fishing, sight-seeing, etc. Would appreciate hearing from people who have traveled in the Windermere Lake region during September and October.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM

We were there in Sept and it was rainy and chilly. We had a good tme anyhow. You just never know.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It could be rainy and chilly in August - or not.

Same for September, or June, or any month. You honestly cannot pick a time to travel base on potential weather. The UK is an island and the weather is nothing if not changeable . . . .
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM

Impossible to answer. We had a fantastic week last year in May near Penrith, walked in fabulous weather every day and I got a suntan. I have been other years in May and have just about got frostbite, with snow, sleet, rain and wind.
I love the Lakes in autumn - the tree colours are beautiful - but equally you can have good or bad weather. I avoid the Lakes like the plague during the peak period which is when the schools break up (mid July) until the beginning of September although it starts getting busy at the start of the summer. Windermere especially will be heaving and it takes an age to get anywhere because of the sheer volume of traffic on the narrow twisty roads.
If I had the choice I would pick May (but not the last week as it is school half term, known as Whit week), the beginning of June, September or early Oct.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:18 AM

<<< Travel in England's northwest lake region >>>

It's called the Lake District - or just The Lakes

June BTW isn't high season - except at weekends when the weather is nice
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:16 AM

You have to understand that this is England and not only England but Northern England. The weather is not predictable up here at any time of the year.

I've known snow in June and 80 degrees in at Easter. The same applies to September and October. Take pot luck, but maybe, just maybe September has a better chance.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM

I have a yacht on Windermere (The Lake District) and up the road in Rosthwaite happens to be the wettest place in Britain. May and September have been good months recently. we had 32oC in June last year.

I travel around Europe frequently and am abolutely convinced that Global warming or whatever you wnat to call it is creating the mediterranean summer high pressure to be stronger which deflects the jet stream and dumps all the yankee rain on the north of England.

In May and September this high is less strong and we have and much better weather. Be aware that travel can be an issue in August the local roads in good weather can be a nightmare, avoid the M6 motorway on Friday and Sunday evenings.

Suggestion for best hike : From Buttermere go up Haystacks along the Red Pike ridge and back down to The Fish Inn,Buttermere for lunch and a pint. You can see the Empire State Building from the top of Red Pike on a clear day. Or at least 3 (some say 5 (not sure about 5) countries).

Eat at The Punch Bowl, Crossthwaite; Storrs Hall Hotel, Bowness; The Drunken Duck, Coniston.

Shop at Booths supermarket, Windermere; Lakeland, Windermere; Rohan Outdoor Clothes, Everywhere.

DO NOT eat at either the Waterside or Lucys both in Ambleside and both so far up there own.... it is amazing they can exist by fleecing tourists to the extent they do. If you would like an example of marketing gone mad and the worst customer service on earth go to Lucys - take a look at Tripadvisor for the feedback!

Finally, remember the reason why it is so beautiful is down to the wet stuff that comes out of the sky!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM

Mmmmm, a yacht on Windermere, how wonderful.
Yes, we were really lucky last May - wonderful weather. We did a walk around the entire circuit of Derwentwater which I loved, plus we explored Shap Abbey and Keld Chapel which we had to ourselves (don't think we met any other walkers the entire day we were in the Shap area).
The Cafe at Lakeland is good for lunch.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/L?content=...enus/wcafe.htm
Agree totally with the Punch Bowl and Drunken Duck. I had a starter once at the Punchbowl - crisp pastry, pesto, goats cheese, tomatoes - I still dream about it.......
We also had really good and very reasonably priced food at the George and Dragon in Clifton.
www.georgeanddragonclifton.co.uk/
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM

To avoid crowds in the Lake District, the other thing to watch out for are the Bank Holidays and the school holidays. The Bank Holidays are just long weekends but often accommodations are fully booked. The school holidays are a full week.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks markrosey for your excellent advice and comments on the Lake District. I'll file it for a future trip.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
BKP

I'll agree with markrosy and do him one better -- don't just eat at The Punchbowl, Crossthwaite, stay there too! It's pretty pricey, but an absolutely lovely way to relax after a long day hiking in the Lakes.

http://www.the-punchbowl.co.uk/tariff.htm
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:20 PM

Morgana

I have never had time for landed gentry that bribe their way into the 21st century but have to make an exception in the case of the Lowthers. They have done a very good job with the G & D but it's a little top heavy price wise in view of the complexity of the menu. Have you tried Nigel Haworths pubs (Northcote Manor) in Blackburn, Mitton and Kirkby Lonsdale. British pub grub at its' best. The Strickland Arms near Sizergh Castle is good and very Englishy.

The Eden valley is absolutely beautiful as is the Lune valley near Kirkby Lonsdale. We were in Appleby yesterday as the boat is out of the water for winter. Had a great walk in the woods around Dufton and then lunch at the Village Bakery in Melmerby. Very, very good simple food.

If anyone has a spare £1m we also had a look at our latest hair brained scheme. This one would need us to sell our house and in todays market that just isn't going to happen for a fair price. Any yanks out there with a pile a cash and looking for a venture - donations welcome. We would open it as a small country house hotel. Jane Austin eat your heart out!

http://webdata.carterjonas.co.uk/ass.../KEN090052.PDF

Thanks for bringing up the walk round Derwentwater it is the best in Britain but I cannot mention it as it involves climbing no hills and as such is a bit girly. Bloody idiots at the Highways Agency have decided to coat most of the roads round the lake with double yellow lines.

ps the rumours doing the rounds this weekend were that a fool at United Utilities pressed a button at Thirlmere whilst we had the heaviest downpour in 200 years. The end result was to flood water out into Derwentwater and then flooding Cockermouth and Whitehaven. Watch the news!

Back to Cumbria - another out of the way place is outside the Lakes - St Bees head near Maryport. Stunning red sandstone cliffs and in July to September you can see whales, dolphins and basking sharks.

Other sites to see : Sizergh Castle, Levens Hall (Topiary), Brantwood (Arts & Craft).

Avoid like the plague : Far Sawrey and Dove Cottage. Swamped by the Japanese looking for Daffodils and Mrs Tiggywinkle.

Could go on for a lot longer as we are giving up international travel for a time (after next trip to Bahamas). Too much to see here and the pound isn't worth a button. Also spent too much money to experience too many surly southern europeans over the past few years.

So rain it is!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM

Also forgot Low Sizergh Barn on the A591 for the farm foods, Armathwaite Hall for the Dubai levels of service (got married there), Lizzick Hall for its Spanish wine cellar and menu.

Would have no problem recommending Punch Bowl as you cannot knock quality but I actually hate it. We usually dine out whilst dressed in drenched sailing clothes with a soggy springer and a 4 year old who only eats bread. Strickland Arms had open arms, the Punch Bowl usually come very close to chucking us out!

http://www.ainscoughs.co.uk/Strickla...arms-home.html

God I like the SA.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks greatly for all the replies and great tips! I am busily taking notes! So many good places and so little time.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM

Hi Mark
Yes we are big fans of Ribble Valley Inns and there's a new one opened over near Skipton which is much handier for us (we live in North Yorkshire). It's the Bull at Broughton.
www.thebullatbroughton.com
We also spend a lot of time in the Trough of Bowland which is a very overlooked area but really beautiful. I guess everyone is rushing to the Lakes or the Dales. Haven't yet climbed Pendle but intend to do so on a clear day.
The Inn at Whitewell is in a gorgeous setting and is also child friendly, and the food is superb.
www.innatwhitewell.com
We also like the Red Pump Inn.
www.theredpumpinn.co.uk
I've been to the village bakery at Melmerby and also the Shepherds Inn close by.
We are spending Easter at Appleby - any good pubs/restaurants in the area?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:10 AM

Agreed on some of that Morgana. Don't forget the Angel at Hetton, still very good. The Inn at Whitewell is a bit patchy on the service side, especially if they don't recognise you as a regular.

We were having dinner there one week, having booked, just my wife and I and we'd were half way through our starters when they asked if we would move tables as they could squeeze a four onto ours who had just walked in without a booking.

Before we could express an opinion, (and I was a bit gobsmacked--unusual for me!)they had started to move our plates, glasses etc to a small table next to the fire(very cold night/very warm fire)that they had just put there.

I was not happy, complained and was offered free coffee. We declined, left and haven't been back since.

If you think the Trough of Bowland is overlooked, you should try and drive through it on a nice Sunday. Good restaurants or pubs at Slaidburn, Waddington and other little villages.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:45 AM

Lifeman

We used to work in Leeds then Manchster then Preston and finally now Lytham. Since I was a student (20 years ago) I had heard about the Angel. It seemed to be the first in the north to stick its neck out and try to progress past chicken in a basket. I just simply could not believe that we had never been until 3 months ago and it was a big let down.

The interior was way behind RVIs and the food was way over priced but the menus were very dated. It just seemed to be the sort of place that hadn't moved on in 5 years.

Your experience at the Inn at Whitewell was unacceptable. An aweful lot of people go there with an inferiority complex based on the view that they are mingling with the Queen and the Duke of Westminster. It is England at its best but service is service. I would have simply walked out without paying and I have in the past. I have always made it clear in situations like this, that my wife can cook to their standard so I am only paying for convenience, service and not doing the washing up. If the service goes down to that level I simply do not pay.

Compare this top the attitude on offer at Northcote. We visited recently with two 4 year olds in tow. Thought we would be shown the door by the usual michelin star kid haters. We were asked whether they wanted pasta or chicken and chips with tomato sauce. The staff went out of their way to make the children at home and the head waiter commented that in 20 years time they would be the new generation of Northcote customers. That's service!

Morgana

I love/hate The Lakes. My wife is from Braithwaite and I have been visiting all my life at least twice a month. In years gone by, October to Easter was quiet. Now January dips a little and the rest of the year is just too busy. Our haunts now are : Ribble Valley, Eden valley and (newly) Dumfries/Galloway. D & G is the greatest place on earth beautiful sea/landscapes and very quiet. Try Kippford or Rockcliffe.

We don't eat out much in the Eden as my Mother in Law always cooks first. There is a great cafe at Unthank Gallery (other side of the M6). Have you tried the cafe at Acorn Bank? We haven't been for 5 years but looking at the other ntaional Trust cafes, it should be good.

The Shepherd Inn seemed to be back open when we passed on Sunday. It was the best pub around but was sold and the new owners literally ran it into the ground. It was closed for 3 years, interesed to see what the new owners are doing. If you are in the area and have any sense of batty romance, take at look at Warcop House which is for sale (link above). Post the property boom I just didn't link that wrecks like this still existed. Its too much for us but somebody will be very lucky.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM

We were there September 1998. Rented a small boat for an hour on Lake Windermere--gives one a totally different perspective!

Also, go up to the stone circle where you can walk amongst the stones.

The weather must not have been two bad; I remember reading outdoors in a lawn chair.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM

Mark--It's strange isn't it how the same restaurant yields up different experiences.

I have always felt that Northcote Manor is overly pretentious and madly expensive for what it is. The last time we were there, the food was very ordinary and the bill for the two of us was £140.00 with a decent bottle of wine. They really do lay it on a bit thick there. The whole Heathcote thing is overhyped IMHO-e.g. The Olive Press.

Apologies to the OP for a thread hijack!