paris in may or september

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are planning a week long trip to paris. have not decided when to go. hear april is rainy. june is great but crowded. august everyone goes away. how about may or september? want reasonable weather and flowers. what are your suggestions.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have done both. Both are great.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Have been to Paris many times each in May, June and September. May and June have the advantage of longer days - sunset is very late! In my experience, weather is more variable in May and June. Have had very, very warm weather (a heat wave with temps near 100 for a week straight one mid-June). I never observed it more crowded in June.

Surprisingly, there are more flowers and the gardens are more beautiful everywhere in September. A lot of replanting goes on in May and June. In September, we've always had very pleasant weather. Not too warm, not too cool, not a lot of rain.

But, you never know about the weather. I've always stayed nearly two weeks and it does vary. So, if your stay is only a few days, weather could be anything.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM
tod

A second YES for September and agree wholeheardtly with djkbooks that there seems to be more flowers in the gardens at that time.
Although I love the pale green of the Spring leaves, this May we were very disappointed in the flower beds - most just bare or already sprouting weeds feverishly.
As for the weather - I have enjoyed really hot conditions well into October.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:38 AM

My visits to Paris have been in early September. In 1999, we had our share of rain fall on us, but some days were crystal clear.

The one drawback to September is the relative scarcity of good hotel rooms. The city is back in full action after the August hiatus and in my experience I benefited from the advance reservation to get the room in my hotel of choice.

I think your choice depends to some extent on what it is you want to see and do. For example we wanted to attend one of the operas on my "will go see" list, and we timed our visit accordingly.

If you are thinking May, early May versus late May will make a difference.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:51 AM

I go to Paris often. Leaving Wed. for a month stay.

As to weather, I think Sept-Oct can be more dependable than May. You can have early Autumn or late..the same for Spring.

May is a very busy month for holidays, which can be disappointing. Google the schedule for 2009.

Reservations need to be made far in advance..especially for the Sept/Oct time due to all the shows at that time.

Enjoy.......
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:10 AM
tod

gracejoan3 - Nominate yourself as one of the luckiest people on tnhe planet! A month?!
You had better share some good stuff with us! Are you not attending the big GTG? - end Sept. with Travgina? Don't miss it!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Tod,

Yes, to the GTG..all signed up...no tattoos, though!! Sounds like a good group of people..fun!!

I feel lucky too, to be able to spend a month at a time in Paris. I also stay in the lovely www.parisperfect.com apartments. I am booked for a month beginning the 11th and another month mid April and also for the month of Oct., 2009!!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM

We prefer May. Nice weather, too early in the season for mobs of tourists and nice long evenings. The only real detriment to September is that the days have started to get shorter.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM

We were in both. as Nytraveler, aslo we prefer May.