Lake Louise in late June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are thinking of heading to Lake Louise and Banff in late June. How will the weather be, will it still be cold, with snow in some areas? Is better to go in August if one is looking for weather at least in the low 70s?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM

Hello doc04,

Check out Banff's temperature statistics here:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...147&refer=

As you'll notice, the temperature range in June is not so very different from that in July and August. And there's the rub. You can experience shorts and T-shirt weather in June, and within an hour it can be raining and cool. The same is true of July, and the same is true of August. There is no other solution but to bring layers of clothing so that you can adapt to rapidly changing weather conditions.

I really like the latter half of June in the mountains, because the lakes are thawed and you can see their amazing turquoise colour, and yet the July / August crowds have not yet arrived.

If it was my trip and I had the flexibility, I would travel in late June.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM

Our trip to that area was at the end of June, last summer. We had some beautiful warm and sunny days but also some rain. The weather didn't spoil the trip as even on the days it rained, it didn't rain all day and we were able to get out and about between the showers. There is no 100% guarantee of weather in mountain areas - I was glad we went in June to avoid the crowds.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:58 AM

In late June, my experience has been that you will find snow in shady places as low as 5,000 feet of elevation. Above 6,000 feet lakes will still be frozen, but not 100%. Most of the trails will be free of snow below 6,500 feet although that does not preclude snow banks in areas that receive little sun.

High lakes like McArthur, which is above 7,000 feet, will have a high percentage of ice cover, but lakes like Moraine Lake and Lake Louise will be virtually ice free.

Peyto Lake hopefully will be ice free to the extent that you can see that incredible emerald green color.

Bow Lake should be ice free because it is fairly low and has extensive sun exposure. The same is true of Emerald Lake.

Given the difficulties in reaching Lake McArthur, I doubt if that will be a factor. We were able to see lake MacArhur on July 2 one year, and it was 85% ice covered and was a mixture of white ice and black water.

Lake Louise is best viewed in the morning when the sun is behind you and the walls of Mount Victoria gleam in the sun as an incredible backdrop for the dark waters of the lake itself.

Moraine lake is good just about any time, but the most spectacular view point is from the rock pile at the outlet end of the lake near the parking lot. A walk along the lake shore trail, which goes along the northern side, is very interesting. If you go all the way to the far end, and look back, the view is totally different - almost astoundingly different.

I don't think August is any guarantee of temperatures. There is an old saying that mountains make their own weather.
We were in that area last year in early September, and we experienced freezing temperatures at night.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM

Ugh. We'll be making a first visit in mid-Sept. I was hoping to avoid the summer crowds, but it'd not be a very happy trip if the weather were very cold. I wouldn't mind occasional rain-- have never minded hiking in light showers. But I'll be very disappointed if the weather is frigid. Oh, well.... looking forward anyway....
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:23 PM

And we were there (lake Louise and Lake O'Hara) in mid-September the year before last, and had lovely warm days for hiking; no rain at all. I suppose it did get cool at night, but we were not camping so it didn't matter.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM

The night we had ice form on the exposes surfaces was fine, just cool.
The day was warm when in the sun.

What's wrong with a little chill in the air at night? Afterall, you are in Canada.

To me, cool nights are what the Rockies are all about. Warm sun, cool nights.

I had rather have that than the 90+ heat we found last summer in Switzerland when we drove up to the Grimsel pass just to escape it. Brienz was so hot that it was miserable.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM

I believe that Lake Louise and Banff are places that are breathtaking whatever time of the year you may be there... similar to Yosemite or the Grand Canyon.

Our trip was between December and New Year's... so we didn't get to hike or see Lake Moraine or some of the other things we'd have loved to do or see on our trip. We loved it! Plan for when it's convenient to you and find the beauty in the time you have chosen.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM

My 89 year old aunt and I will be in the area the end of June also. Does anyone have some good suggestions for lodging, preferably cabins, in Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I have two suggestions for Jasper:
Becker's and Jasper House Bungalows.
Jasper House has kitchen units and small motel units.

Both are on the Athabasca River.

Patricia Lake Bungalows are nice, too.
I have not stayed there but my son and his family were there and liked the set up. I think Pat Lake has a 3 day minimum in high season.

I have no other suggestions because I have not actually stayed there.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Mr. Brown, better late than never. Wanted to thank you for the recommendation to stay in Fields almost two years ago. My husband and I had a wonderful time.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Glad you found a good place.
Where did you stay?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM

We stayed with Carla.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM

That is a nice apartment.
She sold it out for the whole month of August last year very, very early in the season and we had to stay elsewhere.
Darn.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Bob,