Search

Travel From Rome to Almalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:30 AM
emo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel From Rome to Almalfi Coast

My husband and I are staying in Rome for a few days and then travelling to the Almalfi Coast. We were wondering the best way to get there by train, rent a car, bus etc.. We are going to stay in Ravello for a few days, Capri and Positano and maybe Praiano. Can you give me any help on how to get down to the coast. Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:44 AM
GAC

By public transportation: <BR>1. Take a morning Intercity or Eurostar train from Roma Termini direct to Salerno (150 minutes).<BR>2. From directly outside the Salerno train station, take the hourly SITA blue bus to Amalfi (70 minutes). Purchase the bus ticket from the newsstand inside the station.<BR>3. From Amalfi's central square, take the hourly local orange bus direct to Ravello (25 minutes) Purchase the bus ticket from a newsstand in Amalfi.<BR><BR>From Salerno to Amalfi, you could also take the ferry, although this requires walking 600 yards to the boat dock off of Piazza della Concordia. A taxi up the hill from Amalfi to Ravello will cost at least 25 Euros. Before reaching Ravello, arrange with your hotel to meet you at the bus or taxi stop to transport your luggage.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:48 AM
GAC

Here is a sample itinerary:<BR><BR>1. Eurostar train from Roma Termini at 7:45, arriving Salerno at 10:16<BR><BR>2. SITA bus from Salerno train station at 10:30, arriving Amalfi at 11:40<BR><BR>3. Local bus from Amalfi at 12:10, arriving Ravello at 12:40.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:46 PM
emo
Original Poster

So it seems to me its better not to rent a car right? Also how long will it take to get to the coast from Rome?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:33 PM
GAC

You don't need to rent a car if you prefer not to drive, or if you don't plant on stopping between Rome and the Amalfi Coast. If you do rent, travel time from Rome to Ravello will still be around 4 to 5 hours, depending upon traffic and weather conditions. The frequency of train/bus service and the reasonableness of the fares makes public transportation a very good option on this segment. P.S. If you are traveling on a Sunday, you need to re-check schedules, as they often change on Sundays.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
emo<BR><BR>Just to give you the other point of view . . .<BR><BR>Drive it. Rent at Fiumicino. 3 hrs to Naples + 1 - 1 1/2 to Ravello.<BR><BR>Advantage: You have a car to pop out to Pompeii or drive (and walk) up Vesuvius or down to Paestrum etc. And you don't have to put up with public transit (a big one for me).<BR><BR>Disadvantage: You have to drive in suburban Naples &amp; up &amp; over the mountains &amp; on the coast(a shock at first but you warm up to it).<BR><BR>Note: Parking is ok in Ravello, possible in Amalfi but almost non-existent in Praiano &amp; Positano. Hotels always have something however.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Good info on this thread. How long of a ferry ride is it from Salerno at Piazza della Concordia over to Positano? What does it cost and then how would I get up to Hotel Miremare in Positano?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:30 AM
GAC

Salerno to Positano is one hour by ferry, with a very brief stop in Amalfi. Cost is about 5 Euros. By SITA bus, the trip takes about two hours (with a bus change in Amalfi).