COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Travel from Milan to Rome?

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Travel from Milan to Rome?

Avid reader, first time poster here. We(wife & I) are traveling to Italy between the 2nd and 9th of November.

This is our itinerary based on nightly hotel reservations & air ticket:

11/02 - Arrival at Milan Malpensa - 11:30 am
11/02 - Rome (Hotel Domus Aventina, 10mins from Termini)
11/03 - Rome
11/04 - Rome
11/05 - Florence(Alba Hotel near Duomo)
11/06 - Venice (Hotel Torino)
11/07 - Venice
11/08 - Milan (??)
11/09 - Milan Malpensa - departure 10:40 am

We only have a week so we decided to visit Rome & Venice with a days stop in Florence. As such time is a big constraint on our travel plans. We need some advice to make our 1st intl trip successful.

- We will have heavy luggage which needs to be stored for a week in Milan. Where can we find lockers in Milan? Airport itself or train station(s)?

- Travel from Milan to Rome on 2nd, what is advisable? Train, Car or Flight? I checked out the ES trains & it seems to be about 5hrs. Flights on Ryanair are between E20-45 per person but fly between Milan Bergamo (BGY) and Rome Ciampino (CIA). How difficult is to get to these smaller airports?

- Travel between Rome & Florence & onwards to Italy the next day. Is ES train the best option?

- Should we stay in Milan on the night of 8th since we have a morning flight on 9th? Would you advise any hotels close to the airport?

Thanks,
Nivas
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM

Why don't you get an open jaw ticket - fly into Rome, out of Milan?

As for Pikeyair - click on the "destinations" tab on their website. At the very least you get a link to the airport, at most details of the transport options into town.

BUT why fly between Milan & Rome edspecially as you are trying to change airports on the day you arrive.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

alanRow:
We actually got a good deal on this itinerary through Milan on our way back from India so we took it. We could not get confirmed tickets from Rome back to Atlanta/DFW(final dest).
Normally I would prefer trains but after an 11hr from India, I want to be able to reach our hotel in Rome asap to shower & rest.
Do you mean RyanAir when you said PikeyAir?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Sorry slip of the pen.

Personally I'd just take the train to Rome, by the time you've got to the airport, checked in, passed through security, had the flight, collected luggage & gone into Rome you'd have made it to Rome by train - plus you don't have to get to the airport at some ungodly hour
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM

Hi Nivas,

I can understand your desire to see the "Big 3" on your first trip, but with the extreme limitations of 7 days and having to arrive/depart from Milan, you are definitely NOT making the most of your time with this plan.

How about sticking to northern Italy this time? You will return!

Something like:

arrive Milan, see key sights, 1 night
train to Venice - 3 nights
train to Verona (or other northern, Bergamo or maybe somewhere in Piedmonte)- 1 or 2 nights
return to Milan late night before flight?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM

I would definitely try to get a connecting flight to Rome upon your arrival in Milan.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM

If you book tickets online at trenitalia.com, you can pay as little as E29 for either 1st or 2nd class seats on the EuroStar Italia from Milan to Rome. (Standard fare is E67.14 for 1st class and E46.48 for 2nd class.) Allowing one hour to clear the airport, another hour to get from the airport to the Milan Centrale train station by bus, and some time to store your luggage at the train station, the earliest train I would book is the one departing at 15:00.

The train is your best option for your other routes also.

Yes, you should spend the night in MIlan on the 8th. If you do an online booking on an InterCity train rather than an ES train from Venice to Milan, you can get a "Liberta di viagiarre 15 Euro" fare in either 1st or 2nd class for E15.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

alanRow:
We discussed about this transit time too. A flight from Malpensa itself would've been convenient but fares on Lufth/AirItalia are $500-600!

Dayle:
I did get that impression after reading various trip reports but the problem is that with both of us working, 2-3 weeks are about the most we will ever get to vacation. Since we visit relatives in India, we decided to stopover everytime in Europe/elsewhere. So, we have to make the best of that limited time. We are in Milan because of the flight & wife picked a day in Florence thinking it would give us a break of journey. I considered cancelling Florence hotel, but its not refundable. Both of us are more interested in outdoor attractions than museums so we probably will keep it to a minimum. I would love to spend some time in the Lakes/Dolomites area, so yes, there will be another trip someday.

MFNYC: expensive connections!

TimS: Thanks for all the info/advice. Can we store luggage at train station for a week?

What about train reservations? Can it be done when we land in Milan from a local agent(like Rick Steve's suggests) or should I brave Trenitalia's site now?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM

Hi again Nivas,

Yes I certainly understand about limited vacation time. 2-3 weeks is it for me too!

You do agree already that you will have another opportunity to visit Italy on one of your trips "home", so why spend your 7 days with so much travel travel between cities? Why not do this trip in one area, northern, including Florence? Then maybe the next trip, further south including Rome.

Are you leaving right away? I can't believe that a hotel has such a long cancelation policy! Usually they are more like 1 - 3 days in advance, but in Italy all things vary!

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Dayle:
We booked all the hotels through hotels.com or expedia, hence, no cancellations. We did research through various forums but cheapest price was through american travel sites. This being the 1st trip, we plan to get a general idea of what we like and things we would like to avoid. Rome & Venice were the cities which stood out with most to see. Next time we'll pick out the smaller places.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Adult Reg Fare 0.10 EUR
Thu, 02 Nov 06
Flight 9464
18:25 Depart Milan Bergamo (BGY)
19:30 Arrive Rome Ciampino (CIA)

I am getting a fare of 20E with taxes for 2 persons. Considering this fare & adding cab fares, is it worthwhile flying?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM

I just did a Google search and found a post at virtualtourist.com which says that there is a five-day limit for luggage storage at Milano Centrale. (This was a best guess, not an absolute certainty.)

There is luggage storage at Malpensa. I didn't find any reference to a time limit. The price is from €3.50 to €4.00 per piece per day. Here is the phone number: +39.02.58580298.

You certainly could wait and book all your train tickets when you get to Italy. If you book at trenitalia.com, enter Milano, Roma, Firenze, and Venezia S Lucia.

If you book Milan-Rome online and get the E29 fare on the Eurostar Italia, leaving Milano Centrale at 15:00 will get you to Roma Termini at 19:30, the same time you'd be landing at Ciampino. You'll get to your hotel faster if you take the train.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:51 AM

I thought of one more luggage storage possibility. If you book a hotel for the night before you fly out, the hotel might be willing to store your luggage for you from the 2nd to the 8th--for a fee of some kind. It would be worth the price of an international phone call to find out.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

TimS:
Good idea. I still need to make a Milan reservation. Any good sites to book other than hotels.com or expedia? How are the links from tripadvisor?
My wife tried calling the Milan station & because of language barrier, she could not get any information. The only person who spoke English had no idea about the luggage storage. I am thinking of translating a few simple questions into Italian and calling again. Maybe give options of yes/no to each question.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Sorry, I've never used a Tripadvisor link to book a hotel so I have no opinion on going that route.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Hi again Nivas,

I have used these sites to book hotels. My understanding is that cancelation policies are the same as they would be booking through the hotel. I have booked, and canceled, with both sites and have not had a problem of any kind.

venere.com

italyby.com

The only thing I have found with these sites is that they don't book many months in advance. One hotel may show availability, while another will say not available.

If this happens, just e mail, fax or call the hotel directly and you will be able to book directly. Many hotels release rooms to these booking sites on shorter notice, when they need to.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle!