Travel by RER/ Metro in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone suggest what do I need do in order to travel by RER B line from Parc des Exposition station to lets say Eiffel Tower?
I am confused because there is a metro as well as a RER line pointing towards CDG airport but I am unable to understand where do these lines meet first?
Is it at Gard Du Nord & Chatelet?
And since Parc Des Exposition is in Zone 4 can I just buy one ticket of 1.40 euros and travel all the way to city, switch over to metro lines etc. or do I need to pay extra?
Share your experience please...
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Personal experience: I have taken the RER from CDG and switched over to the Metro at St Michel, without needing another ticket.

Think of the RER as a local train with fewer city stops and going to suburbs, and the Metro with many stops, but ending at the borders of city of Paris. Paris is "filled -in" by a combination of RER and Metro stops.

From what I can see in your case:

Take RER direction Robinson/St Remy.The RER and Metro intersect at 4 locations: Gare du Nord, Chatelet, St Michel Denfert Rochereau. On my map there is a large square to note the interchange. So if you look at it, this RER Line goes kind of North/South, and at the intersection points you can take the Metro and go in all directions, or you could just use the RER to get close to your destination. These four interchnages have one of more Metro line leaving form there.
At St Michel, you can switch to RER line C5/C7 and go to Champ de Mars. Trickier to get to there by Metro. From where you are coming from, looks liek Denfert-Rochereau by RER and then Metro to Bir Hakeim.

Hope this helps. I'm looking at a Michelin Blue Map of Paris, with a public transport map in the back.

There is also:

http://www.ratp.fr/

This is a good site!

Hope this helps,
mike

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Personal experience: I have taken the RER from CDG and switched over to the Metro at St Michel, without needing another ticket.

Think of the RER as a local train with fewer city stops and going to suburbs, and the Metro with many stops, but ending at the borders of city of Paris. Paris is "filled -in" by a combination of RER and Metro stops.

From what I can see in your case:

Take RER direction Robinson/St Remy.The RER and Metro intersect at 4 locations: Gare du Nord, Chatelet, St Michel Denfert Rochereau. On my map there is a large square to note the interchange. So if you look at it, this RER Line goes kind of North/South, and at the intersection points you can take the Metro and go in all directions, or you could just use the RER to get close to your destination. These four interchnages have one of more Metro line leaving form there.
At St Michel, you can switch to RER line C5/C7 and go to Champ de Mars. Trickier to get to there by Metro. From where you are coming from, looks liek Denfert-Rochereau by RER and then Metro to Bir Hakeim.

Hope this helps. I'm looking at a Michelin Blue Map of Paris, with a public transport map in the back.

There is also:

http://www.ratp.fr/

This is a good site (english pages)!

Hope this helps,
mike
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Excellent reply
That clears the switchover question very well.
Now all I need to know is if I need to pay a single fare from parc des exposition to Paris city or do i need to pay additional fare because Parc des exposition is in zone 4.....
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM

That web site is pretty neat. Enter Parc des Expositions as starting point, Champs de Mars as destination andit gives you the route, time to reach location, and a map of the area. Looking for fare...looks like 16.75E for Zones 1-5 for a day.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM

If you purchase an RER ticket outside Paris proper, it is good for uninterrupted travel with the Paris Métro. The transfers are free. Take the RER B to Denfert-Rochereau and transfer there to line 6, direction Charles-de-Gaulle Étoile. Get off at Bir-Hakeim and walk to the Eiffel Tower. Conversely, you must pay extra to take the RER back to the Parc des Expositions. You can purchase that ticket as a single ticket from any métro ticket agent.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM

yes, you'll have to pay more for a ticket from zone 4 as from within Paris proper. An RER ticket isn't automatically good in Paris, it depends what zone you buy one for -- you can buy them for only zones outside Paris.

IN any case, if you buy a RER ticket in zone 4 to get to Paris, the ticket clerk is going to sell you what you need if you tell them I want a ticket into central Paris (or whatever point you name in zone 1, tell them Eiffel Tower if that's where you want to go).
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael and Christina
Clarified all that I wanted to know.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM

To see where lines meet and such, refer to

<b>http://www.ratp.info/picts/v_ori/o_plan/op_imag/metro/plan_metro.gif</b>

(also available as a .pdf for your PocketPC). I would take RER B to St. Michel-Notre Dame and transfer to RER C to Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel.

Buy a Mobilis ticket good for unlimited travel all day on any M&acute;tro, RER, Bus, or Tram in Zones 1-4 for &euro;8.80 (if you are there for more than a day, look into the weekly Carte Orange pass).
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Robespierre
Interesting resources.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM

I notice that the map in the link above has been reduced to the size of a postage stamp. For the mother of all maps of M&eacute;tro and RER lines, go to

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_pdf.php#</b>

And click <i><font color="red">RER IdF</font></i>. This map shows both subway and regional train networks overlaid on a geographic map.

While you're there, check out the other offerings (which are not visible on the English RATP site):

<i>M&eacute;tro</i> The classic schematic map
<i>Mini plan du M&eacute;tro</i> A pocket-sized version of the above (when the little window opens, click the arrow in the lower right corner)
<i>Bus Paris</i> Schematic map of all the bus lines
<i>Bus soir&eacute;es</i> Buses operating from 20h30 to 0h30
<i>Bus dimanches et f&ecirc;tes</i> Buses operating on Sundays and holidays
<i>Noctambus Paris</i> Buses operating from 1h to 5h35 within Paris
<i>Noctambus Banlieue</i> The same, except showing suburban termini
<i>Bus Ile-de-France</i> Index of detail maps of every bus line
<i><font color="blue">Bus touristique</font></i> Schematic map of bus lines connecting major sights
<i><font color="red">Bus Paris (avec rues)</font></i> A geographical map showing every bus line within the city
<i>Balabus</i> A special bus that runs a circular route up and down the Seine past many major monuments
<i>Montmartrobus</i> The same, that winds through Montmartre
<i>Paris L'Open Tour</i> A hop-on/hop-off tour of the city
<i>Tramway 1</i> Stop-by-stop map of the tram from Saint-Denis to Noisy-le-Sec
<i>Tramway 2</i> The same, from La D&eacute;fense to Issy Val de Seine
<i>Acc&egrave;s a&eacute;roports</i> RATP services to CDG and ORY
<i>Accessibilit&eacute; personnes &agrave; besoins
sp&eacute;cifiques</i> Line-by-line index to maps of routes having wheelchair access
<i><font color="blue">Plans de quartier de Paris</font></i> Index to mini-maps of the neighborhoods surrounding every M&eacute;tro and RER station
<i>Plans des zones tarifaires</i> Showing which stations are within each RATP tariff zone

These maps are in Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf) files, a wonderfully compact form for text and graphics. They are displayed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free from adobe.com for virtually any platform. I carry all the maps from the RATP site in my iPAQ pocket PC, which I find more convenient (and discreet) than lugging dead trees around.

<font color="blue">Indispensible</font>
<font color="red">Indispensible, and included on the <i>Grand Plan de Paris</i> available free at RATP outlets</font>
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM

As an afterthought, I would add the <i>Bus Ile-de-France</i> index to the <font color="blue">indispensible</font> category. Each bus route is laid out on a separate map, with the names of the stops indicated. In the bus, the next stop is displayed on a screen and announced by voice (so you can keep track of your progress).

You might find it useful to determine which routes pass near your hotel (perhaps using the <i>Bus Paris (avec rues)</i, and print out the maps for each of them. Open the first dropdown, <i>Lignes de 20 &agrave; 96</i> and click the line number you're interested in, then click OK. This index is also directly accessible at

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/plan_telech_bus.php</b>