Reload this Page >

"Trastevere" - correct pronunciation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Susan

<BR>We will be staying there in September. I am confused about which is the accented syllable?<BR><BR>(I saw your assistance with "Uffizi", thanks for letting me ask a followup from the previous poster.)<BR><BR>Susan

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Vita

Trastevere literally means "across the Tevere," the Tevere being the Tiber River. So the accent is on the 'te' of tevere.<BR><BR>tras-TE'-ve-re

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:04 AM
susan

<BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:12 AM
xxx

I think it's tras-TEV-a-ray

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:46 AM
RnR

Yes, accent second syllable - but be warned, in Rome you'll hear it pronounced 2-3 different ways. Neat area, particularly on Sunday when you can have a late lunch outside, and then walk along the river back toward the old part of the city. I think we were bombed on wine the last time, so I'm not sure which route we took. But it was a joy, that much I can assure you.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Nancy

Is what the English speakers call the Tiber really the Tevere in Italian?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Book Chick

Yes, Nancy.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Nancy

Then why don't we all just call it by its rightful name? If I use the word Tevere, Romans will know what I am talking about. So thenr even when we speak Italian we are not speaking Italian really. I could say I am crossing the Tiber in Italian, but I should be saying I am crossing Tevere?<BR>I am not that dumb, just not bilingual.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Rex

This is such an age old question - - why do we transliterate the name of any place into our own language?<BR><BR>Why do we say Rome instead of Roma?<BR>Firenze instead of Florence?<BR>Germany instead of Deutschland?<BR>Switzerland instead of Schweiz, Suisse, Svizzera, or Schwyz?<BR><BR>And why DO they have four different names for their own country, and then still fall back on that old Latin expression for CH? (Confederacio Helvetica)!?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Mary

Most of all, who told us we had to start saying Beijing instead of Peking? And why did we obey?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:22 AM
brownie

Wasn't the name change from Peking to Beijing an official one?<BR><BR>Like from Burma to Myanmar etc..

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:35 AM
Ursula

Rex: <BR>Schwyz is not the translation into to Romantsch of Switzerland! It's Svizra.<BR><BR>Schwyz is just one of the cantons which in Romantsch would be Sviz.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Andrea

Well, I can (partly) answer the last one! (I do realize it's probably rhetorical, but I so rarely get to post on the Europe board I couldn't resist). <BR><BR>The reason Peking suddenly changed to Beijing is that China officially changed the system used to transliterate Chinese characters into Roman letters. <BR><BR>Under the old system, a p’ (with an apostrophe) was to be pronounced “b” (try saying "Bay Pay Bay Pay" without concentrating on enunciating for about 30 seconds & you can see why). The king/jing switch is probably because it’s pronounced “king” in Cantonese (the language spoken in Hong Kong).