Search

Trastevere?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trastevere?

We are going to Rome in Feb. and have found a nice looking hotel in Trastevere - Hotel Santa Maria. Do you think this is too far away as a base for touring? Or is transportation adequate enough to accomodate.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Desilu,

The Trastevere neighborhood is very central and is a lovely area. You are on the same side of the Tiber if you want to head to the Vatican or St. Peters, may be a 20 min walk.

Cross one of the bridges, the Ponte Sisto ect. and you are very close to Campo Dei Fiori, Navona and more.

The Trastevere is really charming and has many restaurants to choose from.

It took me a couple times to really explore but this is now one of my favorite areas to do just that!

Eileen
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:14 AM

Trastevere is divine but I wouldn't stay there on my first trip to Rome. There's something about having to cross a river to get to the city center that doesn't sit with me and I don't "do" buses or subways.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:22 AM
JonJon

Some folks will tell you that Trastevere is the "real Rome" and I have always found it to be fun and interesting, especially when it comes to eating out. Like it or not it IS very much a part of Rome.
When you say "transportation" I assume you are talking about public transport and not taxis (which will take you anywhere, obviously)...depends on how much walking you want to do, whether or not you are willing to use the available tram services, etc.
You will not find the level of tourists in this area that you would see around the Navonna or the Spanish Steps if that is an issue. I suspect a great many people who routinely post here would not consider this area their numero uno when it comes to accommodations but they may not be as sophistocated and as flexible as you are.
Be adventurous and go for it!

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Hi desilu,

Stay in Trastevere!!! You'll love it. I just returned from Rome a few weeks ago and stayed in Trastevere because I liked the area (spent an afternoon there during my previous trip) and because it is quiet.

It was a wonderful place to stay. The people are so friendly and helpful and the prices are very reasonable (restaurants, gelato, goods in shops) for a large city. A lot of the shop keepers didn't speak much English but it wasn't a problem. What they lacked in English fluency they more than made up for in their desire to help. When you leave your hotel you're encountering locals in the streets, not only tourists.

Take some time to go to the top of Gianicolo, a hill in Trastevere. There are lovely views of Rome from the top (Piazza Garibaldi) and a cafe there where you can have a wine and sit and look over the city.

We mostly took cabs from the hotel to our first sightseeing venue. The cabs were very reasonable and efficient.

I can't say enough good things about this area of Rome. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there.

By the way - the river that Food Snob talks about not wanting to cross takes about 10 seconds to do so (by car). It's not that wide so don't be intimidated.

Could you tell me something about Hotel Santa Maria - web site perhaps? I'm looking for a different hotel for my next stay in Rome.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Maybe you can cross the river in 10 seconds (by car), but I don't think that was the point being made. First of all, I don't suppose desilu (how's Little Ricky, by the way?) will be driving back and forth in a car. I think the idea was the "psychological barrier" of crossing the river -- feeling you are removed from the center of Rome, which of course you are, and in fact is what some people love most about Trastevere.

I agree that I wouldn't want to stay there for my FIRST Rome visit. I love being in the heart of the action, pop in and out of my hotel and be in the hustle and bustle of Navonna and Fiori, or Trevi and the Spanish Steps. It might be welcomed for future stays for many people to feel more like you are in a neighborhood.

Of course, to each his own. I just prefer being in the center. And although this summer will be my fourth (or is it fifth?) stay in Rome, I still haven't graduated to wanting to stay in Trastevere, although I always love going over for a meal or two during my stays.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Thanks Patrick for clarifying crossing the river. I really didn't understand the comment and couldn't understand why crossing a river would be a big deal.

In Paris I never want to be far away from Notre Dame/Louvre area for the reasons you mention. Rome feels different to me. When I first experienced Piazza Navonna or Campo dei Fiori I thought I would like to stay in one of those areas next trip. That was before I went to Trastevere. I do love it for it's slight removal from the noise and congestion of center city. And yet I find it accessible to sights.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:53 AM
dln

On our first trip to Rome, my husband and I stayed in Trastevere. I don't think we will ever stay anywhere else! When we stepped out of our apartment, the first sight that greeted us each morning were Romans, not Tourists. What a treat that was. We loved the "village" feel of Trastevere. And those pesky bridges that separated us from the mainland--ah, one of the most supremely romantic things to do late at night is to stroll any of those bridges and look at the lights twinkling over the Tiber. Wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Not a bad location, at all. You can get city busses, and it is a more affordable side of town.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:55 PM

dln - I was wondering what agency you booked your apartment from ? I am thinking of renting an apartment in Trastevere from sleepinitaly.com, but still have not made up my mind yet. Thanks !
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:12 PM
dln

We rented from sleepinitaly.com and the agency was great to work with. The apartment was on Via Natale Grande. Upside was a great location, and the apartment was extremely safe and well equipped. The one downside was that it was dark because it had only one window, which, although it was large, didn't let in a lot of light because it opened into a central courtyard. We needed to keep every light burning just to give a semblance of brightness. The price (110 euro) was very reasonable.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Patrick, I have to thank you for translating me. At least somebody here understands. I couldn't have explained it any better or with any more patience.

I'm a strong advocate of trying as many Rome neighborhoods as you can in a lifetime. Like I said, I love Trastevere, but it took years before I had the desire to stay there. Once I did, I decided I prefer to be closer to other parts of the city center. I spend much time at the Vatican and Piazza di Popolo and I go back and forth to my apartment all day. Depending on where you are located in Trastevere, the walk to these areas can be brutal, especially with a camera and packages.

There's no such thing as hailing a taxi in Rome like we do here in NYC. You either go to a taxi stand and wait or you call one from your cell and wait. I don't like waiting for anybody which is why, when in Rome, I depend on my feet.

The longer I live in NYC the more germ phobic I become. By the time I'm sixty, I'll be wearing gloves permanently or living in a glass bubble. I've had my fill of NYC public transportation and I'll pass. As many times as I've been to Rome, I've never been on the subway and I've never ridden a bus. I discover more when I walk.

As far as tourists are concerned, there certainly are less of "us" in Trastevere but, so what. Unless you plan to lock yourself in your Trastevere apartment (hotel), you're bound to rub elbows with someone like yourself, especially if you intend to discover and experience Rome.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM

Back to the original question: "Do you think this is too far away as a base for touring?"

I guess you know and get the picture that this area is not right in the center, but it's not far from it either. So it's really a personal choice of what YOU are comfortable with, is it too far away for you as a base touring?

Do you like to walk, is this a trip where you will be running all over and being right in the center would really work better for you?

Let us know what you decide!
Eileen
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:11 PM

How disappointing that after all of this information was given to Delilu, there was no follow-up on what he/she decided to do.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:49 PM

Hi Carroll,

I think the no follow up happens quite a bit. Let's hope they give us a brief trip report with their choice when they return from their travels in Feb.

E