Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me enjoy Rome (because I didn't on my first trip)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to Rome before and after spending 3 weeks all over France and Italy, it was my least favorite place. I don't know if it's that we stayed in a bad location (can't even remember the hotel), or if I just don't enjoy walking and walking to see something. I hear so many wonderful things about Rome but I never saw it. It just felt like another big city to me. Paris on the other hand was great. We stayed in the St. Germain area and enjoyed walking around at night, stopping in for a bite to eat or to have a drink, and just basically taking in the ambience. Just sitting out on our little balcony was pleasant. I even enjoyed Athens! I'm hoping to find a location in Rome that will give me that kind of feel when I go back this Spring with my two girlfriends. Can anyone recommend the best "location" for us to look for a hotel in?
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM

loves2sing

I think you should start by reading some of the reports of the fodor's members. There is so much information that's what I did long before my trip to Rome and I'll tell you my family and I had the most wonderful 5 days. Yes we did a lot of walking but it was great. I stayed close to the spanish steps but i also like the area around the trevi fountain and campo de fiori.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Trust me, I have read many, many reports. I usually spend months planning my trips. I don't know, maybe its just that it was near the end of my trip all over the French countryside, and then all though Tuscany that I just didn't enjoy the "city" at that point. But I was just hoping someone could recommend a particular area that might be a good fit for what I described.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM

I've only been to Rome once, but it is truly one of my favorites. Among London, Paris, Florence, Venice, Amsterdam and Dublin, it's right near the top at this point.

We stayed right around the corner from the bottom of the Spanish Steps (cute little boutique hotel...can't remember the name). This was a terrific site full of ambiance. It was also near lots of good shopping and dining. Thanks to taxis and mass transit, it was easy to get around.

In addition to enjoying the Coliseum, Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and the Vatican, I just loved wandering down the narrow streets and back allies anxious to see what was around the next corner. More than once, I was greeted by a spectacular piazza.

You're right....it might have just been the place you stayed and the fact that it was at the end of what sounds like a long trip.

I'm hard to please and have high expectations. Take another look....I think you'll like it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM

Rome is my favorite place. I have been fortunate enough to spend 45 days there over 6 trips since 9/05. I can't help with hotel suggestions, as I like to stay in an apartment, and for what you describe you will want a balcony, but I think my usual suggestion of the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de' Fiori area is till a good one for what you want.

I always stay just off the Piazza Navona, because it's my favorite area. Yes, it's one of the tourist centers, but if you want to just sit in a cafe and enjoy people-watching, the performers, and the artists, then this is the place to be.

A very short distance east of the Piazza is the Pantheon. There's nothing quite like entering the square with the moon hanging in the sky over the Pantheon, and of course there are also cafes there.

In the other direction, just a very short walk south of the Piazza Navona, is Campo de' Fiori, with the market where you can find flowers, fruits/vegetables, etc.

Rome is a city of walking, and the Piazza Navona is in walking distance to a lot of what you will want to see. However, it's also close to several bus stops where you can get a bus to most other areas of the city. I've used the buses a lot due to my arthritic knees, but there's no doubt you still have to do a good deal of walking in Rome.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ambage, it looks like I'm going to have to give it another try.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Susan, I was thinking I might prefer an apartment as well, and a balcony would be great. There will be 3 of us, very outgoing women in our 40's, and we will likely want to hang out there at the end of the day just watching life or people go by. So it sounds like the Piazza Navona area might fit the bill. Do you have any apartment recommendations that might have a balcony with a good view?
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM

I have never had an apartment with a balcony, but I have used www.sleepinitaly.com 5 times with great results and service. They have a lot of apartments in that area, so check out their listings in your price range. You should be able to find what you want.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM

I think you need to identify what were the reasons you did not enjoy Rome the first time. You indicate a "location" that gives "that" kind of feeling. Do you think others can correctly identify what "that" is?

If the factors contributing to your lack of enjoyment are present at a new location, you would repeat the same experience again.

When I am in Rome, I expect to experience something different from what I experienced in Paris. I would be disappointed in Rome also if were to look for the St. Germain experience.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM

My suggestions were not meant to imply that it would exactly duplicate the "feeling" of St. Germain. Rome is not the same as Paris. Having been to Paris a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was suggesting something that I hope loves2sing would enjoy. I also like the St. Germain area of Paris. Actually, I loved Paris and was surprised how much more I love Italy, especially Rome. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to go back to Paris!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Greg, yes I do think people can figure out what "that" kind of feeling is since I posted some things that I liked about Paris, things that are often common to many European cities that I have been to and I was hoping someone who had been to both, and enjoyed the same "feeling" and experiences, might be able to direct me to a "location" in Rome, that might be comparable. I didn't expect anyone to take me so literal. I also didn't think that someone would assume I would actually expect my experience in Rome to be just like Paris. Sometimes in writing on here, we just have to do our best to describe our needs and wants in the best way we know how and hope someone understands our point. Fortunately, I found Susan's post to be not only informative but VERY "perceptive".

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM

Many people don't "like" Rome, maybe you are one of them. Maybe if you stayed in Trastevere it would be more of a homey feeling for you but not if you don't want to walk and walk. Why don't you try a smaller town such as Assisi, Florence, Venice, Siena, etc.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 12:53 AM

loves2sing, don't feel you are alone in missing that "something" that lures a person to fall in love with Rome after a first visit. I missed it also.

I think the city planners forgot to include those little parks so plentiful in a city like Paris--a soothing oasis from all the sidewalks and piazzas of concrete and stone. A place to stop and take a relaxing break during a long walk.

While Rome has so many wonders to behold, it doesn't draw me back like Paris, London, Madrid or New York.

I hope you can discover the pleasures of Rome on your next trip. I will try as well Deborah
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM

The first time I went to Rome I didnt fall in love with it either. We stayed outside of centre and had to metro in every day. The 2nd time we went we had an apartment on via Guilia right by Campo di Fiori and it was wonderful. I still love Paris/France more than Rome/Italy, but I did fall for Rome much more.

The Pantheon/Campo di Fiori/Piazza Navona area is great for cafes, wine bars, restaurants, walking etc.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 04:26 AM

I would encourage you to pursue the idea of renting an apartment in the Piazza Navona/piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon)/Campo de' Fiori area. Unfortunately I can't recommend one with a balcony that would work for you and your friends.

Here is a thread from about a year and a half ago that also asked for help enjoying Rome. I think it has a lot of good suggestions.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35043773

As I said in my entries on that post, I enjoyed Rome during my first two trips there but really fell in love with the city during the third trip when we stayed longer and rented an apartment in the Jewish ghetto. I hope you have a similar wonderful experience
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 04:27 AM
RJD

If you want to know why all roads lead to Rome and what it means to the West, I suggest Christopher Hibbert's eminently readable book "Rome: The History of a City". It helps make any trip to Rome interesting and moving, despite the crowds and the noise.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM

For apartments, check www.slowtrav.com as they have tonnes of apartment reviews and advice.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM

What time of year were you there? In midsummer Rome can be absolutely hellish. We always do Italy in May - when it's warm but not TOO hot - and walking all day is pleasant rather than a chore.

And a centrally located hotel is key - preferably near a beautiful piazza with fountain where you can sit and have a drink or dessert after dinner.

Agree, that until you figure out WHY you didn't like Rome it will be hard to be sure you'll enjoy it more.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi loves2sing,

my reaction to florence was the same as yours was to Rome [and not many folks here dislike Florence!].

but I loved Rome and can't wait to go back.

you might feel more at home staying out of the real tourist centre like we did [by chance, as our firstw choice of apartment was withdrawn by teh owner] in an area called Monti, just north of the colosseum, which has lots of local shops and workshops, and isn't just for tourists. it was close to everything, but not too close.

we booked through www.italy-accom.com. who were really helpful. what I like about their web-site is that you can search by area, or no. of people, or no. of bedrooms, or terraces, etc. etc. they will tell you if your apartment has a view.

good luck,

regards, ann

PS - I just looked on their web-site and they have several apartments for 3 with terraces, some with views, some not. the cheapest was €138 per night.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear loves2sing,

I love France/Paris as well and I've accepted I'm just not an Italy person. I like a lot of things about Italy but I just don't connect to it in the same way I connected to Germany, France, or even my recent trips to Stockholm and Prague. I must admit, Rome is very grand and I don't know why it didn't knock my socks off like Paris does... but vive la difference, no?

So, I think going with different expectations is a good first start. Think about the activities you do enjoy regardless of what city you are in, be they art, food, strolling, drinking, people-watching. Then research for those activities and plan to do those.

The beauty of this being your second trip is that you can skip all the horrible crowded "must see" things from the first trip and just focus on what you really want to see - new this time, or best-loved from the first trip.

For instance, a favorite thing I did in Rome was see a fantastic Chagall exhibit. Not a typical "Rome thing" to do but I love art from that period and it was excellent. Also, I enjoyed the Borghese and would return there again. I love that you must book a time in advance and it doesn't get too crowded. Plus we had a wonderful tour guide there. Also, we visited the Pantheon 3 times - no lines, no tickets, so easy and so wonderful to see in different light.

Lastly, many on Fodor's view the hotel as a place to just sleep. I disagree, especially in a busy city like Rome. Find a hotel that is a bit of an oasis for you in a location you will enjoy...a place you look forward to spending a couple hours each afternoon regrouping and resting before the evening. Pick a convenient yet charming location. (We also stayed by the Spanish Steps and very much liked our location as we could walk just about everywhere from there.)

Think of this trip as a time to enjoy your friends good company and don't focus too much on the city. I bet you will have a wonderful time.

And, yes, summer is a bad time to go so avoid that if possible...

gruezi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -