Rome: Trastevere or Piazza di spagna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me choose the location. I have found two hotels, both seem pretty and at the exact same price.
I have been to Rome before and i know very well the area of Spanish Steps but have no idea about Trastevere. I know that it's a very lively place for the night with lots of local restaurants, bars etc. which i really like. But Piazza di spagna is wonderful as well... what would you choose?

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd choose the area by the Spanish Steps because it's more centrally located and we like to be in the thick of things.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:20 AM

Trastevere, for the reason you mention: there are people on the streets until late in the evening and lots of retaurants, etc.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:21 AM

Well, Well, Well... That's hard! However.. last year I stayed at Trastevere, which is the heart of the locals in Rome... lot's of little streets and super cool italian restaurantes. Very Nice.... I would stay there again, I guess. More lively at night than P. Spagna. But dont miss the Piazza... go visit... more than once! Have Fun.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:26 AM

I love Trastevere. Although a busy neighbourhood, it feels less crowded than the P di S area. A bit of a hike over the river, but if you like to walk that's neither nor there. It has a more authentic feel to it, much more character than touristy P di S. It's now home to the alternative/artsy set, so lots of interesting artisans stores, some cools bars/restaurants. Piazza di Santa Maria is a fab place for people watching, the church is beautiful. I stayed in Rome for about 6 weeks in 2001, my boyfriend
lived there for 12 months. We went to the markets in Trastevere frequently and to the English language arthouse cinema a few times. There is also a lovely english bookstore hidden in the lanes there somewhere. I would choose Trastevere over ANY other place in Rome. Possibly the only downside is that since it is now a fairly trendy area, accommodation (ie apartment rental) can be pricier than some other areas ... but probably still cheaper than P di S.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:50 AM

Trastevere has an entirely different "feel" to it than does the area around the Spanish Steps IMO...both can be satisfying for different reasons. For some, staying in Trastevere would be a MAJOR change in mindset.

I love it when people talk about avoiding "touristy" areas in Rome (I guess when THEY go to an area they suddenly don't contribute to the "tourist clogged" problem) and then tell you to stay at the Spanish Steps or at the Navonna...go figure.

But Trastevere is very lively at night..lots of young folks, bars, restaurants, gelato places, people out walking their dogs, both canine and human..that sort of thing...perhaps not filled with quite so many, "Oh you can look but please don't TOUCH me" types, but it seems to be becoming more and more discovered by visitors.

Yours is a nice "problem" to have. and the results might even be outlook-altering..good luck
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!!
You really helped me, because that's exactly what i wanted to hear about Trastevere. I really like to mingle with locals and i wouldn't want to go a second time in Rome as a 'tourist' only.
Chanda, of course i'll go to Piazza di Spagna again...and again... ;-)
One thing though.. is it very far away from the 'touristy things'? Because from what i see, the transportation isn't so convenient to many hot spots!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM

I guess my take on Trastevere is a little different. We've been heading over there for a meal or two each trip to Rome for almost 10 years. Each time though it seems more and more like all tourists. I realize that if you go off onto a few of the tiny streets it is less so, but the bulk of the people walking those couple of major streets every night and sitting at the bars and restaurants in the "center" of Trastevere sure are all tourists. I'm not making a value judgement on that, just saying that if you think going to Trastevere is putting you only with locals you're sadly mistaken.
I certainly prefer staying nearer Navona and Fiori -- the historical center, where there is much more to do and see, even at night.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM

I will also vote for Campo de Fiori and Piazza Navona. We stayed before in Via Veneto area and it was too fancy, now for next visits I can spend less and enjoy area more in Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Navona.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Could you tell me how far is Trastevere from Campo dei Fiori, and Piazza Navona? (by foot i mean). Thanks again, i appreciate all the replies!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:29 AM

20 minutes slow stroll, including getting lost.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM

I come away from reading some of the posts with the feeling that they convey the idea that Trastevere is a very specific and confined area, perhaps around Piazza Santa Maria in T.

Before I made a decision to stay there, I would seriously look at where in Trastevere the specific hotel is, and how much I like the convenience of revisiting my room during the day. I may want a nap, or I just might want to drop off bags or change my shoes.

I would not stay in Trastevere. I like to be in central Rome where museums, shops, etc are close. Transportation connections again depend on which part of Trastevere you are in. You could be on a major tram line, or far from any easy transportation.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:40 PM

I take Piazza di Spagna any day over Trastevere..I like the convenience of being able to walk to the major sights, without worrying about taking the bus...

At night the Piazza is a center of attention, everyone sit on the steps people watching or having a gelato or eating chestnuts hot and fragrant from the street vendor..

Trastevere in my opinion is an ugly neighborhood, that in the last 20 years became very popular with the tourists..

It does have nice old churches and some old roman stones or porticos, but other than that is very old... poor and shabby looking..
But like the French say: A chacun son Gout..
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:22 AM

stay near the spanish steps
take a bus to trastevere for one or two dinners
EVERY NIGHT POSSIBLE DO THE PIAZZA NAVONA/PANTHEON/TREVI WALK AND GET AN ICE CREAM AND/OR EXPRESSO (THIS IS THE HEIGHT)
CHEAP T SHIRTS ON VIA CORSO
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM

I think people may get the wrong idea about the distance from Trastevere to the "touristy sites." For me,it is a five to ten minute walk to the Pantheon or Piazza Navona,very centrally located.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:15 PM
dln

We stayed in Trastavere and loved it. Is the Trastavere hotel you are looking at north of the main street, Viale de Trastavere? The part of the neighborhood south of the street, with the churches of St. Francesco a Ripa and St. Cecilia, is not very attractive. That must be what Kismetchimera is talking about when she calls Trastavere ugly. Otherwise, we thought Trastavere was completely charming and had a much less touristy feel to it (plus the food was excellent!). It's no trouble crossing the bridge over to Piazza Navona or Campo de Fiori. We only used the bus once, in fact.

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM

I've stayed in the Trastevere neighborhood and closer to Piazza Navona. I much prefer the latter.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:49 AM

I recently spent a week in Rome and stayed in the Piazza Navona area because the apartment I wanted in Trastevere was booked. Naturally when we were wandering around Rome we decided to go and see what we were missing in the Trastevere neighbourhood. As far as I am concerned we missed nothing and we were really lucky that the apt was booked. We walked across the bridge to the area only to be met by 2 sleazy looking fellows who looked like they would have mugged us if we would have had anything of value with us.With every corner we turned we ran into some very tough looking people. I also thought the area was dirty and very shabby looking. I got a very eery feeling in that part of Rome and did not feel comfortable at all. As far as this area being a short walk to major sights I'd say its more like a 30 minute walk. Stay at the Spanish Steps,I would.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:10 AM

I like the area around Pantheon Square the best and then Navona.

It was a 10-15 minute walk from the Pantheon to the Santa Maria in Trastevere square and we did this several times for dinner over the course of your last few visits to Rome.

I really think it is a matter of where you will feel comfortable. Trastevere is very active with bars and cafes and people in the streets. It is pretty much a residential neighborhood that attracts the tourists for the restaurants and night scene. For lack of a better word, I would describe Piazza di Spagna as a more "sanitized" experience. I am not particularly fond of it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:48 AM

There are tourists everywhere in Rome, but ONLY tourists around the Spanish steps. My friends who live in Rome spend most of there time in Trastevere and Campo De Fiore. We stay near the Pantheon and walk everywhere. Nothing is more than 20 minutes and most places are only 5. There are a ton of tourists but you get to see the Pantheon every night before you turn in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -