staying in Trastevere vs other side of the river

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that location is always about personal preference and this is one of those personal opinion questions. I want to know what YOU prefer, and why, not so much what you think we should do.

We're trying to decide between staying in a B&B in Trastevere that comes highly recommended (Arco del Lauro, 120 euro for a double in mid May)or at the Hotel Arenula, which gets decent reviews, moslty for location, (125 euros,) on via Arenula, right next to the Jewish Ghetto. These 2 places appear to be about 1/2 mile away from each other on opposite sides of the Tiber.

Mostly, I'd love to hear people's experiences with staying in Trastevere as opposed to closer to the Campo and Pz. Navonna area. What did you like or dislike about either choice. Also, if any of you have direct experience with either of these hotels, I'd be happy to hear those too.

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM

I too would like opinions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:01 AM

Although I'm no expert, I have been to Rome 3x. 1st time I was a backpacker and stayed near Termini, 2nd time was a honeymooner & stayed near Trevi Fountain, and 3rd time I stayed in Trastevere. I loved Trastevere b/c it was not full of tourists (bar myself...) and I felt like I was experiencing more 'genuine Italian culture'(??) for lack of a better description. The restaurants were fantastic that we stumbled on, the pace less hectic, we could leave our windows open at night (v. quiet), and it was close enough to all the usual sites (Pantheon, Span. Steps, etc.) that I didn't find it to be a worry. I do like to walk however. There is a tram that goes from Trastevere to the central historic district - the stop we used dropped us off about 200m from the Pantheon, if I remember correctly. Only downside to Trastevere for me had to do with the fact it was not easy to quickly swing past the hotel to drop off purchases, freshen up before lunch, check emails, etc. Regardless of where you choose to stay, I can give you a great restaurant recommendation for Trastevere - La Gensola, on Via Gensola. Not much english spoken, but the staff is extremely friendly and the food GREAT. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
dgg

Normally I suggest staying nearer to the historic center, and the Trastevere has never been known for its lodging choices. It looks like that's changed. I had never seen the Arco del Lauro before. It looks wonderful. I would definitely stay there. When we are in Rome, we always eat several evening meals in the Trastevere. I think the location is good enough that you'll be able to cross the river to reach the historic sites during the day and you will have numerous choices for dinner right outside your doorstep. It looks like the Arco del Lauro is located on a small square. I'm going to look into it the next time we go to Rome.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM

Although I haven't stayed at the Hotel Arenula, be aware that via Arenula is a very busy street with lots of traffic and can be noisy. Ideally, staying by the Pantheon or Piazza Navona would be the choice for a first time visitor to Rome because that location is so central. But Trastevere is fine if you don't mind the extra walk and can use the buses and trams, which is very easy to figure out.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
We stayed at the Arco del Lauro in October for 4 nights. It wasn't our first time in Rome, but it was our first time to stay in Trastevere. We loved it. I have a review on TripAdvisor. Any questions, just ask.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM

oops, I just realized I already responded to your other thread on the same topic.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. My email exchanges with Lorenza from The Arco De Lauro have totally clinched the deal for us. She is so welcoming and helpful, perfect for our first time in Rome. The glowing reviews here and on Trip Advisor make the choice between the Arco DeLauro and the Arenula a no brainer. For under 120E a night, in mid May, I think this will be the ideal place. Most seem to agree that Trastevere is a great neighborhood, quiter at night and easy to walk into the center of Rome and see most of the tourist sights, so thanks again to everyone for their input.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM

You will love Lorenza. Vibrant and attractive, she's a class act without an iota of pretensiousness. Manages to pull off genuine warmth and professionalism in one package. Her limoncello is the cat's pjs, too!