Search

Transporting a vehicle to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transporting a vehicle to Ireland

Hello,

My husband and I will be relocating to Dublin for 11 months on August 1st of this year. We are considering shipping our car so that we don't have to rent cars each time we want to explore the different areas of Ireland. Does anyone have any experience with such a thing? I was wondering how much it costs, and if it's even worth it. I read that persons staying temporarily in the country do not have to pay the VRT fee, so I will only need to pay the motor tax, is this correct? Also, I read if I bring the car with me I can avoid the 28% import tax. Will this apply to me, even though I am technically not coming with the car?

Thank you for all who respond.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention--we are moving from Seattle, WA.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Since they drive on the left-hand side of the road, you really don't want an American car in Ireland. The roads are very narrow and you will be at a disadvantage with your steering wheel on the left -- hard to see oncoming traffic if you are behind a truck or van.

I would recommend buying a used car when you get there, and selling it when you leave -- you would be better off. Besides, shipping it back & forth from Seattle would cost you a small fortune.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Sounds like Budmans advice is a winner.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Budman is 100% correct. Not only is it expensive to ship an automobile, insurance for a left hand drive car would be really high.

Not to mention - if you have a full-sized US car you would have a terrible time navigating the narrow (REALLY NARROW) Irish roads. And the visibility from the "wrong" side of the car would make driving pretty dangerous.

Now, I know many folks have driven LHD cars in Ireland and the UK (me included for a few months) and lived to tell about it -- but it is not something you should do.

Just put you car in storage and buy a used car in Ireland.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I agree with all previous postings, plus your US vehicle will get significantly worse mileage than an Irish one - no small consideration with petrol at 1 Euro per litre.
Renault, Peugeot and others have long-term lease deals which are much more economical than conventional rentals. I'm sure other manufacturers probably do something similar. You might want to check that possibility out.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:35 AM

Many people do ship cars over as some have worked in Multinationals in the U.S. and decide to bring a car back with them. I almost did this myself several years ago. The cost then was not too bad but it may have changed. I believe you would have to get insured over here and the insurance would go upwith a left side drive. If you are only staying temporary I don't think you wiol get hit with import tax etc.

I do think it couyld be easier to just buy a car here (Nothing expensive) and seel whn you return. Are you staying in the city or a house. If you are in the city I would not even bother and just use public transport and rent a car when needed.

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your advice. I have taken it and decided not to bring my car. thanks much
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:18 AM

I think its probably better value not to. Where are you moving to in Dublin?