Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you feel safer when flying a foreing airline??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 06:29 AM
xxx

just curious. I am planning my trip to Europe and it has crossed my mind. American carriers were and will be targeted by terrorrists. Any comments?? Thanks.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 06:30 AM
xxx

oops!! sorry meant to write foreign.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:42 AM
goodpoint

Why would you consider this a "troll"? I just last night discussed this with my husband and we agreed we will not fly our usual American airlines to Italy this year, but instead use a foreign carrier.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Wendy

Call me paranoid but I will not fly any airlines with American or United in the name since 9/11. I strongly feel that there was no coincindence in those flights being picked. Hello Delta and NW!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:53 AM
xxx

What about USAIR?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:37 PM
aj

I have had the same feelings. I am really looking for a good foreign airfair for May. I passed up a great fare with US Air. I am glad to know that I am not the only person with this feeling.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Katherine

I think this is sad to see. I will not live my life based on fear and anticipation of the unknown. You have just given the terrorists' what they want, Fear! There is nothing wrong if you choose a foreign carrier but I think it should be chosen for other reasons. Maybe you prefer the service, schedule or whatever.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:43 PM
chris

I did let the fear get to me and I booked a foreign airline intead of AA using my frequent flier miles for a trip to Europe in May. The airline is part of the AA one world alliance. I think security has gotten really tough as AA required copies of my & hubby's passports before tickets would be issued. I spoke to my travel agent and she told me lots of her clients were using foreign carriers also. Will that make us safer? I don't think so.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Wendy

I think fear and a healthy dose of awareness are 2 different things. I also don't fly USAir. I have recently travelled overseas and am sitting in an airport ready to go to Vegas and security is nothing! I have had to open my bags only to see them LOOK in and have me close it. I'm sure there are many others with this view as it seems all the cheap fares are on USAir and United, etc. To each their own- that's why we live in this great country!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:24 PM
buck

Fly any airline that you can get the best price, trying to predict when and where and what airline terrorrists will hit is like trying to predict the ending of the world. Any one who thinks that they can do it then keep trying to pick the airline that will get hit, (LOL}, Maybe all you folks should fly El Al, never had a hijacking in there 30 year history, they fly about 25 planes around the world. I will fly on any airline that I can get a good price as in my travels around the world I have found that they are all about the same, sometimes you have a great flight and sometimes its not. Happy travels to everyone, Buck

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Lori

I've flown both American and foreign airlines since 9/11. I definitely feel safer on American airlines. No matter what.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Tony Hughes

But American airlines ARE foreign to non-Americans.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Lizzie

I think this is a pertinent question. I've never been one to let fear of what might happen get in the way of living my life. However, my boyfriend is planning some sort of surprise vacation for us, and my one stipulation is that I don't want to fly American or USAir. Is that paranoid, and more importantly delusional in some way in thinking that other airlines wouldn't ever be targeted? Probably. But it gives me some peace of mind, and that's what matters. But come spring, if I see a super deal on AA or USAir to Paris, I'll probably jump on it w/out thinking twice! I know it's all in my mind but if it makes me feel better, then so be it.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
dan woodlief

Right now I do feel safer when I fly a non-US based airline (how is that Tony?), but it doesn't keep me from using the US-based ones. If I had to choose between equal fares on say American and Air France, I might lean toward the latter, but if American was significantly more convenient and/or lower priced, I would use it. We flew American to Italy in October, transferring to British Airways in London because American went directly from RDU to Europe and offered us the best fare.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:28 AM
asdf

I am also planning my trip to Italy and I will be using airfrance or other nonamerican airline, regardless of price.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:39 AM
ellen

Let's hypothesize that so many Americans like the posters above are avoiding U.S. airlines that revenues are way down and several airlines go out of business. With fewer airlines to choose from, there is less competition and the remaining airlines raise their prices, not only for international travel but for domestic travel as well. Gone are the days of tantalizing low fares. Is that the outcome you're looking for?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Lizzie

Survival of the fittest, Ellen. Happens all the time; companies go out of business every day. Quite frankly, the airlines were hit hard by the economy as well as the terrorist attacks so it's not nearly as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
A.M.

This Canadian has flown American, Continental, US Air, Delta and Air Canada since the terrorist attacks on Sept.11. I hope these airlines will recognize my loyality with some upgrades in the future. <BR>Now, THAT would be nice.<BR>A.M.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:12 AM
s.fowler

Depends on the airline --- I've flown a couple in Eastern Europe... less said the better. On the other hand the Slovenian Adria Airways is a sterling outfit all the way.<BR><BR>Right now we fly American Airlines -- we fled from United a few years back because we were tired of being abused by everyone. We also like American's extra 2 inches. And our recent crews have been nothing short of fabulous. Perhaps I am an age where I say when your time is up, well it's up. But for various reasons we're loyal to AA when it is possible. [Even when United has lower fares]

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Kim

Hi,<BR><BR>The one thing that made me weary of foreign airlines was something mentioned on the news BEFORE the terrorsist attacks--that most European airlines (don't know about Asian ones) do not keep their cockpit doors locked.<BR><BR>That's why this past summer, a man on a British airways flight from London to Nairobi was able to go into the cockpit and try to plunge the plane to suicide. <BR><BR>I don't know what theie procedures are now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -