Transportation in Italy

Oct 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Transportation in Italy

I feel overwhelmed! My husband and I leave Oct. 18 for a 16 day trip in Italy. I have a few details yet to work out and I'm stuck. My details mostly relate to train & taxi transportation.
1. We will have a rental car while staying at a B&B in Castellina in Chianti which needs to be returned at the airport in Florence. How do we get from the Florence Airport to the Train Station, so we can take a train and arrive at the Station in the Rome Airport?
2. Since we will have 2 large suitecases + 2 small carry-on's, is it advisable to use a private taxi to get from the Venice (Marco Polo) Airport to our accomidations on Venice?
3. Any advice driving from Castellina in Chianti to the Florence Airport?
Many thanks!
Oct 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM

1. It sounds like you need to get from Castellina to the Rome airport. I suggest that rather than dropping the car at the Florence airport and then taking the airport express bus (20-30 minutes, 4E, buy your tickets on the bus and board at the bus stop just across the taxi line) or a taxi (15 minutes, ~25E) to the Florence train station, taking a train to the Rome Termini station and then the train from there to the airport, that you drive from Castellina to the Rome airport and return the car there. It will be faster and more direct.

2. Yes, take the water taxi. You may want to try to pack lighter and taking smaller luggage so that it will be easier. Are you picking up your rental car in Venice when you leave?

3. There are gas stations after you get off of the A1 onto the short road to the airport. It makes filling the tank prior to returning the car very quick and easy. Pay attention for the airport exit- the airport name is Peretola. It is a small airport so finding the car rental return area is easy- just follow the signs.
Oct 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM

1. I would never ever want to make the series of connections as described by zoecat to reach the Rome airport on departure day. Train delays and even strikes might cause you to miss your flight. Better, as mentioned, to drive all the way to FCO and drop the car there. You should still allow plenty of time to get there and turn in the car.

2. Without knowing where your hotel in Venice is located, it would be difficult to advise "best" method from the airport. Your hotel might be steps from one of the Alilaguna (airport public water bus) stops which would mean the bus would be a good option and much cheaper than a private water taxi.
Oct 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

1. We do not have a flight to catch but we were strongly advised not to drive in or around Rome. When we leave the B&B in Castellina our next accomidation is La Posta Vecchia just out of Rome. We thought the best way would be to take the train from Florence to the Rome Airport & then catch a transportation service out to La Posta Vecchia. But now I'm wondering if we should drive to La Posta Vecchia and use the rental to take us to the Rome Airport when it is time to leave. Any thoughts?
2. We are staying at an apartment in Venice that is a 10-15 minute walk from St. Mark’s square. But the owners have informed us if has a private dock, so I believe we'll be taking a private taxi.
Any thoughts on our 1st question? We've never been to Italy, any concerns driving from Venice to Castellina or Castellina to La Posta Vecchia?
Oct 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Ladispoli, where La Posta Vecchia is, is not in any meaningful way "in or near Rome." It's on the coast, miles north of Fiumicino and miles west of Rome. Nor would driving from Ladispoli to Fiumicino involve driving in Rome.

Go to www.viamichelin.com for suggested driving routes, costs and (optimistic) times.
Oct 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM

If you mean this La Posta Vecchia:

http://www.lapostavecchia.com/hires.php

then it truly makes no sense for you to take the train from Florence to Rome with all those connections and dragging luggage agony. You could drive from Castellina in Chianti to this La Posta Vecchia in about 3.5 hours, taking the scenic route thtough Tuscany to Grosseto and then along the coast. You won't even come close to Rome.
Oct 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

You have the correct location Ellenem & I was just looking over a map wondering how the route would look along the coast. Thank you for the perspective on location. While we live in northern Indiana, it is not uncommon for us to drive up to Chicago & consider us relatively close - even though it is a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive.
Oct 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM

A water taxi in Venice makes sense only if your hotel has a private dock (few do) or is right near a public dock. The taxi can only leave you at a dock - and if the nearest is several bridges from your hotel you will be dragging your luggage all that way. You need to look at the hotel website to figure out the best way to get all that stuff to the hotel. (We too travel with quite a bit of luggage but always book a hotel with a private dock so we don;t have to deal with it - the boatman and hotel bellmen do it all.)

As for driving in rome as a means of transport - that makes no sense at all. But if you arriving by car you can certainly drive your car to the rental office to drop it off - then grab a cab to the hotel with your luggage. (A couple of times we've arranged for the rental company to send someone to the hotel to pick up the car - so all we had to do was drive the car to the hotel and give it to a bellman to park/hold for the agent.)
Oct 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM

The OP's hotel "in Rome" for their night(s) before their flight home is actually 35 km from Rome. They don't really need to go near Rome at all.