Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would you rent a car in Rome and drop off in Florence?

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom and I will be leaving Rome, heading to Tuscany, on a Sunday so our pick-up locations are somewhat limited. Would you suggest the airport or train station in Rome for picking up a rental car? Or do you have any other suggestions. I thought about taking the train to Siena or Chiusi, but their pick-up locations are closed that day. To drop off the car, I think we will drive into Florence. We are staying at the Hotel Davanzati near the Ponte Vecchio. Is there a good place to drop off the car near there or is the airport better? I am also considering dropping the car off in Sienna and taking a bus or train to Florence. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I know that there are usually added surcharges, but we are renting from the Rome airport. I certainly don't want to drive in Rome itself, and it looks like picking up at the airport can help us avoid that by skirting around the city. Airport locations usually have longer open hours.

Tracy
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Driving OUT of Rome from the central train station (Termini) on a Sunday would be pretty easy. I think going to the airport would be more trouble.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I'm sorry; I misread your post and thought you were flying into Rome and then going to Tuscany. If you are staying in Rome first, please disregard my suggestion for picking the car up at the airport.

Tracy
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM

We rented from AutoEurope two weeks ago. Picked up a car at Avis desk at Florence airport and returned it a few days later at the Avis office on Borgo Ognissanti in Florence. This location was easy to drive to, with printed-out directions from Via Michelin.com and with a map showing the traffic direction on the one-way streets for back up. The staff at the location are very helpful; you actually return the car to a desk in the indoor parking lot next to the office. They will call a taxi for you from there if you need it to take you to your hotel.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Ekscrunchy, could you tell me if the Borgo Ognissanti drop off location was close to the Ponte Vecchio? I am assuming it must be closer than the airport, but assuming has never worked well for me.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM

We used AutoEurope picking up in Naples and returning in Rome, and they were very reasonable and easy to use.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I have been researching similar options lately. Let us leave aside why you would rent a car, rather than take a train direct from Rome to Florence.

1. If you are staying in Rome, you certainly do not want to pick up at the airport.

2. We rented from autoeurope and took delivery (from Hertz) just beyond the Vatican on v. Gregorio VII.

From the train station it is a little farther -- but maybe no harder.

Our exit from the city, though it really did require a careful navigator (me) backing up the driver, was not bad at all.

3. We took the 4 lane Via Cassia through Lazio and Tuscany.

The Lazio region is dull, dull, DULL. (Our Tuscan hosts explained: they were under the thumb of the Papacy and did not experience the glorious flowering of the Tuscan republics)

4. tcreath, am I not correct that there is actually a surcharge -- not huge but not small either -- for pick up at the airport?

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM

You don't make it clear if you are stopping to do sightseeing along the way to Florence. If you are not, but just going from Rome to Florence, I suggest the train.

Of course, you may want the car for some sightseeing. There really isn't a car rental place in Florence that is near enough for you to walk to the Ponte Vecchio after dropping off the car. You will most likely want a taxi to take you from the car drop off to your accomodations.

Since you will be in Rome, and then in Florence, it doesnt make sense to use the airport drop off and pick up locations in either place. They won't be that much easier to find than in city locations, either way.

But again, if you aren't stopping somewhere, do consider the train.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Hi CV. We returned our rental car at the Florence airport(a tip from Rex), and took a taxi to Piazza Signoria -which worked out quite well considering the traffic.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I should have given a little more information as to why we need a car. We are spending four days in the Tuscan countryside before going to Florence. I remember reading about the pick-up location by the Vatican, but unfortunately it is closed on Sunday. There is a $30 surcharge for picking up at the Rome airport. I was willing to pay it if it meant an easier exit out of Rome, but it sounds like the train station is a better option. I think I need to research my Florence options a bit more.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:15 PM

It is an easy 15 minute walk from the Avis office to the Ponte Vecchio. This might be too far with luggage. It was for us so we took a taxi from the office to our hotel on Piazza della Signoria. This cost about 10 Euro; taxis are more expensive on Sundays.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM

I definetly didn't want to discourage you from having a car if you needed one, and it seems that you do.

Again, don't go to the airport in Rome: it is an unnecessary and added expense. You will find your way out of the city; no one has ever been permanently lost there in a rental car. ;-)

Be aware that the Florence airport office may be closed if the airport itself is closed, as it will be soon if it isn't already.

Just ask for lots of help and directions, and you won't have a problem. If you are hopelessly lost, just stop at a taxi and make it clear that you will pay them to let you follow them to your destination. Lots of people do it, and it won't be at all unheard of.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM

Good catch from Tuscanlifeedit as to the Florence airport closing this spring, I had forgotten about that. Obviously that could be an issue depending on the alignment of the dates of the closure and your trip.

My feeling on dropping the car outside of town and taking a taxi in is that driving into the traffic in Florence is a nightmare. I would still try to avoid that scenario if at all possible.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM

We picked our car up in Rome on a Sunday near the Via Veneto and dropped it off in Florence on Borgo Oggnisanti
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM

tedgale,
We are thinking of the similar scenario. Thanks for the info about the Hertz pick up, just past the Vatican. We were thinking about picking it up at the airport because we thought it might be an easier exit out of the city. Do you suggest the Hertz pick up that you used? OK, for "first-timers"?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM

I would suggest picking the car up at Termini, which is just inside the "ring road" that will take you to the A1 and quickly to Tuscany. The car can be returned at several "centro" locations in Florence with only a normal amount of angst. Remember to check the hours as most rental offices close for siesta.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM

We are staying near the Colosseum, and although we originally arranged to pick up our car (through Autoroute) at the train station, I changed the location for pick-up to the vatican location which, although it is obviously less convenient, saves me $75.00 CDN, which is a 10% savings on a 1 week rental.

Having said that, although I have tried to find out through Autoroute directly on the phone which locations, other than the Termini, would be somewhat nearer the Colosseum (we are staying at Capo D'Africa), I have had no success.

Can anybody possibly recommend a hertz-autoroute location for pick-up which would be closer to my hotel/Colosseum location.

As always, many thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM

nevertooold,

This will be a bit time consuming, but you can go on the Hertz website and find out the addresses of their various Rome offices. Next, you can go to a site like viamichelin.com and plug in the addresses of your hotel and each Hertz office to learn how far apart they are. Good luck!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I made reservations for pick up at Termini on Sunday and we will drop off in Florence after driving around the hilltowns for several days. I phoned autoeurope and with the postal code (zip code) of the hotel you are staying at they will tell you which office is closest. Since we are picking up on a Sunday, we were a little bit limited since most rental offices are closed. Termini was our best bet in Rome. It's going to be a great adventure!