Notices

Transportation from Paris to Barcelona

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:29 AM
kim

Transportation from Paris to Barcelona

I have never been to Europe and needed some help figuring out how to get from Paris to Barcelona. We have thought about driving but I was wondering if maybe there was a train that went to Barcelona. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Rex

Sure there is. Complete details at any of these websites: www.sncf.com or www.refe.es or www.raileurope.com - - but don't pre-purchase your tickkets from raileurope before going to Europe - - very, very big markups.

A worth alternative might be to fly to Perpignan and take the train the rest of the way to Bareclona - - check out ww.airlibexpress.com (I think), for Paris-Perpignan.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Gretchen

There are cheap flights on Ryan or Virgin I think.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Ben Haines

You will find the through night train well described on http://www.seat61.com/, under Spain. The sites www.sncf.com and www.refe.es will tell you of the cheaper route by day, and of the cheap night route from Paris at 2156 with a change at the Pyrenees to Barcelona at 1146.

Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Waverley

Definitely check out virgin express.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:02 PM
christinesf

I was thinking of buying the France/Spain pass from RailEurope, which seems to be a bargain at $252 for 4 days of travel. It seemed much more expensive to purchase tickets individually.
(Going Paris-Lyon-Barcelona-Paris.)
Is buying that pass a bad idea? Cheaper if i buy it when i get to France?
Thanks...btw, i see Ben and Rex post all the time and i just wanna say that i think it's really nice that you help people with practical information..i'm sure you (and many other people on here)have helped make a number of trips for first time or inexperienced europe travelers better.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Rex

Thank you, christinesf, for the kind remarks.

And no, you cannot buy the pass once you get to Europe. They are not sold there. It's part of the marketing strategy of RailEurope - - to get you to pre-purchase more rail travel than you really need.

But check out www.railsaver.com and you will likely find that point-to-point tickets are cheaper anyhow. If not, I almost always conclude that an itinerary has too much travel in it!

See where you are more, travel around less.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:38 PM
up

up up up

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Christinesf

Thanks again Rex. I'll check Railsaver as well. There are so many websites and sources to check...which is why i'm thankful to have "found" Fodor's and the kindness of strangers. Gushing i know, but you know how us hippy san franciscians are!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Rex

Once again, you're very welcome.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Christina

Fly from Paris to Barcelona. Its a 2 hour flight and its probably cheaper than the train. You'll be quite suprised how inexpensive flights are within Europe. Airfrance has several flights to Barcelona. Everytime I've considered taking a train somewhere within Europe the Flight has always been cheaper and faster even with the waiting at the airport.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Fly

Check out www.opodo.com for PAR-BCN fares.