Paris to Barcelona

Search

Paris to Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Barcelona

I'm flying to Paris is June and I want to visit Barcelona as well. Has anyone taken the train from Paris to Barcelona? Any recommendations for how I should get from Paris to Barcelona? Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:47 PM

The most convenient train is the Joan Miro hotel train, with restaurant car and 1, 2 and 4 berth sleepers. It leave paris Auisterlitz t 2032 and reaches Barcelona Sants at 0824. A cheaper night connection is Paris Auterlitz 2158 or 2202, Portbou 0854 to 0948, buffet car train, Barcelona 1146. The train from Paris has 1 and 2 berth sleepers, reclining seats, and refreshments on board. By day you change trains once: Paris Austerlitz 0642 30 June to 30 August, not Sundays, no catering in trains, Barcelona 1855 or Paris Gare de Lyon 1324, buffet car trains, Barcelona 2148. Fares are on http://www.renfe.es/ingles/index.html.

[email protected]
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Bootman4U

Apparently unlike Mr. Haines, I HAVE taken this train overnight several times...I would not recommend changing trains but rather spending the money for a decent night's sleep and taking the Trenhotel (the Jean Miro)..be aware that it doesn't always run every night until the mid-summer so check the timetable to be sure that the night you want, if you decide to do this, the train is running. You can probably wwait to reserve space once you are in Europe if you'd like to save a little money. My experience on this route is that it was quiet and comfortable since in France, at least, the roadbed is mostly continuously welded rail and there is none of the stereotypically "clickity-clack" that keeps some people awake.
Please also be aware that on this train, like any other you'll get waht you pay for, i.e., if you book "second class" accommodations you'll get something less than "first."

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Apart from the night trains, there are easy day connections by getting a TGV at lunchtime from Paris to Montpellier, then changing to the Talgo train for Barcelona. The through night train is obviously the best but, if it's full, there is the alternative of the night train to Port Bou (the first station in Spain), then a local train into Barcelona.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the good information! I'm looking forward to the train ride now.