Transfer time in Basel Sbb

Jun 21st, 2007, 01:26 AM
asd
Original Poster

Transfer time in Basel Sbb

Hi, I plan to travel from Paris to Lucerne by Train, with a change of train in Basel Sbb. How much time should I provide for Passport control in Basel ? Thanks in advance.
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:25 AM

Depends on how crowded the train is and how quickly you get off and get in line. But generally, I haven't waited in line more than 10 minutes, sometimes less. I'd plan on at least 20 minutes between the Basel arrival and Lucerne departure just to avoid feeling rushed. Or you could give yourself even longer and have a quick exploration of downtown Basel (a short tram ride).
Fortunately, service from Basel to Lucerne is fairly frequent.
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:55 AM

asd:

It depends on the train you are on from Paris.

If it is a TGV going on to Zurich, passport control will be made on the train between Mulhouse and Basel, your train will arrive in the Swiss part of the station and your connection will leave from a platform near the place you arrive.

If your train from Paris ends at Basel, passport control could be at the station. It generally is perfunctory, but you will have to walk from the French part to the Swiss part, which will take 10 minutes.

The best connection seems to be:

Paris dp 08:24
Basel ar 11:50 platform 8
Basel dp 12:04 platform 6
Lucerne ar 13:14 platform 7

If the train from Paris is on time, 14 minutes is plenty. If delayed, the next 2 trains to Lucern involve a transfer in Olten or Zofingen, and the 3rd is a direct train:

Basel dp 13:27 platform 11
Olten ar 13:53 platform 12
Olten dp 14:06 platform 10
Lucerne ar 14:54 platform 7

Basel dp 13:44 platform 4
Zofingen ar 14:23 platform 1
Zofingen dp 14:31 platform 2
Lucerne ar 15:05 platform 5

Basel dp 14:04 platform 6
Lucerne ar 15:14 platform 7

You may want to check the Swiss Federal Railways' English language site at

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/index.htm

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Jun 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM

>Hi, I plan to travel from Paris to Lucerne by Train, with a change of train in Basel Sbb. How much time should I provide for Passport control in Basel ? Thanks in advance.

No need for planning that - since you will have a ticket from paris to Lucerne, simply take the next available train from Basel when you are through the passport control.
Jun 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
asd
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, BTilke, Phil & Altamiro. Your responses have put me into ease. I have planned on TGV departing Paris Est at 8.24 a.m. and my connecting train from Basel is 1.04 p.m., which gives me an hour's time in Basel Sbb. Adequate to take care of delays. Thanks again.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM

If you've already got an hour planned between trains, why not make it two and treat yourself to a quick exploration of the historic center of Basel? Only 5 minutes away by tram, hop on one to the Marktplatz, take a look around the winding little side streets, take a peek at the Rhine, pick up some Schiesser chocolates (the best chocolates in the world, IMO, and I'm in Belgium, where quality chocolate is available on every corner). Then catch a tram back to the train station and head off to Lucerne.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:06 AM

I absolutely agree - use the time in basel, it is absolutely worth seeing. It is beautiful but not nearly as touristy as Lucerne.

Take a cable ferry over the Rhine - it is a very nice short trip.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:49 AM
asd
Original Poster

Wow ! That sounds exciting. Thanks again BTilke and Altamiro for the nice suggestions. I will reschedule my connection train and make use of the 2-hour lay in Basel.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:00 AM

Is there luggage storage in Basel SBB? I imagine there is, but I never had to check as I was always staying there...can someone give asd the details?
The Schiesser chocolate store is right by the Marktplatz tram stop, FYI. Go inside and while you're waiting to buy, head back toward the WCs and you'll see a big map of medieval Basel--interesting to look at. And if you're hungry, the Globus food hall (also on the Marktplatz) is a snack hunter's delight! Note: the food hall in the Globus store is on the ground floor and basement level.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:20 AM

Hi all,

Oh yes, there are rows and rows of luggage lockers; I used one this past Jan. I think they cost either 3 chf or 5 chf, and two small bags will fit into one locker.

Great idea -- enjoy the little jewel of a city!

s
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
asd
Original Poster

Thanks BTilke for asking on my behalf. I had presumed that there will be luggage lockers in the Station. But having traveled around, I have learnt not to assume and had planned to post this query. Thanks swandav2000 for the clarification. Schiesser chocolate store, Globus Food Hall ..... Mmmmmm.... Basel, here I come !
Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:02 AM

asd:

The luggage lockers are on the station's main hall lower floor (escalator opposite the ticket counters). There is also a staffed luggage office.

To get to Marktplatz take tram line 8 or 11 heading straight away from the main station building. Marktplatz is the 4th stop. Tickets must be bought from the ticket machine on the tram platform, fare is CHF 1.90.

Enjoy your trip

Phil.
Jun 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM
asd
Original Poster

Thanks Phil for the details.
This and the other small details and preparations make the difference between "just another trip" and a memorable and enjoyable trip.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
asd
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
This is just to thank everyone of you who contributed to making my trip smooth.
As Phil mentioned the Immigration check was to be done in the train itself between Mulhouse and Basel SBB. However the officials decided not to check our papers and walked by us.
I took BTilke's suggestion and broke my journey in Basel. Used the Lockers at the basement of the station (CHF 6 per locker- there is a coin machine nearby, too) took a tram to Marktplatz, had yummy pastries in Schiessers, bought chocolates for take away, slurpped Movenpick icecreams from nearby Movenpick Hotel, wandered around the Marktplatz, walked to the Rhine Bridge. The weather was cool, crisp, clear - ideal for walking around.
However we could not take the Cable ferry since we were running short of time.
Walked back to Globus, bought our lunch, took the tram back to the station and hopped on to our train to Lucerne.
The whole program went so smooth that my wife suspected I had already visited Basel earlier.
Thanks to everyone we had a glimpse of charming Basel which we would have missed otherwise.
3 Cheers to Fodors Forum members for their enthusiastic response.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM

Thanks for that update! I'm glad you had a nice time on your quick swing through Basel. Have you eaten the Schiesser chocolates yet? Did you like them?
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
asd
Original Poster

Yum ! Couldn't have enough of it. I have added so much weight that I have increased my workout to get back to shape. How is it that you eat only about 250 gms of chocolate but put on more than 2500 gms ? ;-)
Feb 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM

How about traveling in the opposite direction (Switzerland to France?)

I am coming from the Olten direction. The www.bahn.de shows the train arriving at Basel SBB.

My next train departs Basel SNCF in 13 minutes.

This does not seem like an easy connection.

Is it better to get off the train at the head of the train or at the tail of the train at Basel SBB?
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM

How about traveling in the opposite direction (Switzerland to France?)

I am coming from the Olten direction. The www.bahn.de shows the train arriving at Basel SBB.

My next train departs Basel SNCF in 13 minutes.

This does not seem like an easy connection.

Is it better to get off the train at the head of the train or at the tail of the train at Basel SBB?