Train Lucerne To Paris Need Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the "special" advanced purchase train fares called ? (A funny name, but I can't remember it) Do they go on sale 90 days prior to travel date? Do they even still exist? What is the best website to book with? It appears my date, Apr 21, 2014 is too far out on the websites I have looked at like SNCF and Thalys. I am in the US and I remember not to use USA as country and avoid Rail Europe. Also, Is Lucerne-Basel w/1 stop-Paris Nord the best routing? Help! I need a crash course in European train ticket booking.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try using the Swiss Federal Railways site... as another option. You can book and print out the tickets at home. Those special low fares offered by SNCF are called "Prems"

www.sbb.ch/en
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 09:24 PM

Hi hpeabody,

You can also try:

www.tgv-europe.com

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 01:37 AM

www.sbb.ch can book Lucerne to Paris all in one go (in other words, it'll do both the Swiss domestic element Lucerne-Basel/Zurich plus Basel-Paris or Zurich-Paris by high-speed TGV-Lyria as one transaction).

You can also check TGV-Lyria prices from Basel or Zurich to Paris at www.capitainetrain.com, then add a separate Swiss domestic ticket at www.sbb.ch.

Occasionally, the French system used by capitainetrain comes up with cheaper prices than the Swiss system at sbb.ch that's why I suggest both.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to those who have replied.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

OK, This is not easy. Do I buy separate tickets on the Swiss website and the Basel to Paris on another site? When I try 1 ticket, the fares are terribly high or shows not available due to my date. There is hope of a possible 25 euro fare on SNCF but not yet open. I could jump on that when it opens ??? It is not called Prems, though. Are there discounts on the trains in Switzerland? I will need round trip between Basel and Lucerne 3 days apart Saturday then Monday. I tried CapitaineTrain and I don't think it works if you start in Switzerland. It looks like just within France maybe? I am getting panicky.