Basel train stations

Search

Basel train stations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basel train stations

Just so I understand.. we will arrive in Basel from St Goar/Freiburg.
Do I have it correct that our train trip will terminate at the 'German' station, that we will deboard and go thru a passport check and Customs, and then need to make our way across the river to Hotel Violon?
In other words, the German station and the Swiss station are totally disconnected, ie. you can't continue into Basel to terminate at the Swiss station.
Also, is the Customs area similar to the airport, ie. a 'green' door, just walk on thru it (nothing to declare), so it looks familiar...?
- Do I have this part of our travel understood? Thank you!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Hi Travelnut,

Are you wanting Basel Bad (german basel - small station) or Basel Hbf (Swiss station with French part)?

Because, you can continue on from germany right into Switzerland via Basel Hbf. No change of train required. In fact, most of the IC trains that go to Zurich or the like, go right into Switzerland. Passport/custom checks may be done on the train.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Travelnut:

It depends on the train. All German Intercity trains go to the Swiss station (Basel SBB); also all regional trains on the upper Rhine line from Freiburg terminate at Basel SBB.
If you are travelling in one of those, the passport check will take place on the train.

If your train terminates at Basel Bad Bf (the German station), passport control is no problem: There is only one walkway, customs and immigration officers pick out random passengers, but most are let through without any check.

If you would care to tell me, what train you will be taking, I can give you its terminal station.

If you need any direction from the station to the hotel, I'll be glad to help.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I think I'm an idiot!! I just looked at Die Bahn again, and now I see that it passes thru Basel Bad bf and ends at Basel SBB. That is great, much closer to hotel, might even walk it (about 1.3 km according to Mappy).
I'm sorry to be a bother - I just misread the online maps I saw..
Thanks!
(p.s. to answer the question, I'm hoping to leave Freiburg after a lunch stop and catch the ICE at 14:04, straight into Basel).
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Several tram lines stop at Basel SBB which would make it easy to get to your hotel. FYI, check if the hotel offers the Basel card which lets you ride local transportation free during your stay. (The Basel Hotel and many other hotels give guests this card--they should offer it to you when you check in but the front desk personnel can forget from time to time)
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Travelnut:

Walking is an option, if you have not too much luggage. Be advised, however, that you will have to walk down a hill and up the (steep) opposite one to reach your hotel.

You may take tram line 8, 10 or 11 for 2 stops and then transfer to line 3 for another 2 stops. this will deposit you 100 meters from the Violon. Be sure to ask for the free transport BaselCard BTilke mentionned.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Passport checks? We arrived at Basel that way this summer and I never saw a sign of any passport control -- on the train or at the Swiss station. And the next day we took a train to Mulhouse, France again walking through the untended passport gates at the station. I think more and more, passport control in Europe is a thing of the past.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

We will get the transport pass from Hotel Violon, mentioned on their web.
We might walk, only packing one backpack each... otherwise, the tram specifics are very helpful - I presume we would buy tickets around the train station somewhere for the trams, or maybe on the tram from the driver? I will read up on the tickets usage - hadn't done so, knowing we'd have the pass for the little time we're there.
As always, MOST helpful!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:38 PM

Travelnut:

Taking the tram at Basel: Public transport operates on an honour system. You have to buy a ticket before boarding the tram or bus.

You will get the tickets from dispensing machines located at every tram or bus stop. The machines will give you change. There are machines accepting Euro at the stops serving the railway stations and the airport.

There is no way to get a ticket inside the trams or buses. If you are caught without a valid ticket, you will be fined 60 Swiss Francs.

As to your specific journey: when leaving the station building, go to the rightmost island of the tram stop. Purchase an adult "K" zone ticket per person (1.80 Swiss Francs, sorry don't know the fare in &euro from a machine. The machines accepting € are marked with the "€" sign on blue).

Take a number 8 tram bound for "Kleinhüningen", a number 10 tram bound for "Flüh" or "Rodersdorf", or a number 11 tram bound for "St. Louis Grenze". Get out at the second stop ("Bankverein&quot and wait on the same island for the next number 3 tram bound for "Burgfelden Grenze". Again, get out at the second stop ("Musik-Akademie&quot.

There is a little square ("Leonhardskirchplatz&quot off to the right just before the tram stop. Go there and look out for an archway marked "Lohnhof". Cross into the piazza beyond, the Violon is at the far end.

Helpful websites:

http://www.baseltourismus.ch (english section as from 15 september)

http://www.basel.ch/index.php?lang=e...ol_page_id=108 (English, general information on staying and living in Basel)

http://www.bvb-basel.ch (public transport, German only. The turreted building in the backgroud of the picture on its homepage is the violon )

Enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 02:57 AM

Patrick, every time we've taken a train from Brussels to Switzerland (last trip was in late June 2003), we had no option but to go through passport control and they check EVERY passport.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

I will include the tram/ticket details in my travel notes.. thank you so much everyone, these tips keep things moving smoothly!