Transfer Athens port to Hotel

Feb 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Transfer Athens port to Hotel

We will arriving at Piraeus on NCL Jewel on May 7th and need a reliable (Non smoking) car to take us to hotel in Athens -- and maybe to use for day trip around Athens.
Someone recommended SPIRO --- any sugestions and prices if possible
Thanks,
Cheryl
Feb 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM

Heavens above, have you done any research on Athens? Is your hotel in the old area, the Plaka or is it on the metro line, there is nothing wrong with walking across the street from the port to the train station and taking the train up to Athens to your hotel, it could be within a few minutes walk if you check a map. You do not need a car to explore Athens, it is for walking, the Acropolis, Agora, the Herod Atticus theatre and the Plaka are within close range of each other and basically in streets where a car would be a huge handicap or not allowed at all. They are also close to Syntagma Square where you can see the changing of the guard and then from there you can walk to the Benaki Museum, the Cyclades museum, the Byzantine museum if you are into that. The metro system in Athens is very efficient and safe.
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

KathyNZ --- sorry that I seem so poor at doing research - I have a disability that makes it difficult to retain information - so I have found it very helpful that I can ask a simple question and just have to read a few lines for the answer -- also I am just learning how to use a computer.

I'm very sorry if I annoyed you - please accept my apology.
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM

i imagine if you are coming off a cruise, you will have a BIT of luggage.. which IMHO makes it NOT a good idea to cross the street for the convenient metro/train.

this website helped me a lot when planning athens.. hope you find your answer here from someone knowledgeable.

there are agencies on this website that get good reveiws from others.

www.greektravel.com
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Dear crp3,

If anyone should apologize it is KathyNZ. You asked a simple question and should have gotten a reply without the sarcasm.

Since you are coming off a cruise, you must have a bit of luggage. I'd get a taxi to your hotel and make sure it is a non smoking cab. To get around Athens if you don't feel up to the walk, use a cab and again ask if it is non smoking

You'll find Greeks on the whole charming, helpful , and kind. I should know as I was married to one and lived there 13 years.

Have a great trip, Joan
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM

except for the first question in kathy nz's answer, she has given good advice.. but sometimes our messages DO come across more blunt than we intend..

anyway. hope these suggestions have helped you.
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your help ---- I appreciate your kindness -
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM

donīt miss the private collection museum "Benaki", as mentioned. in june, they were serving dinners on thursday evenings when they stayed open later.