Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with train tickets Paris to Munich please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a search and tried going to some of the websites mentioned, but cannot figure out how to get prices, etc. for a Paris to Munich train on July 6, 2007. We want the most direct (fastest) and we are not considering an overnight train. How do I do this? Trenitalia last summer was a cinch compared to this. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help or advice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM

There are direct EuroCity trains from Paris to Munich. They leave at 06:44 and 10:45. See the timetables at www.bahn.de. You can book up to 90 days in advance at either www.sncf.com or www.bahn.de. To get prices, enter a date within 90 days of today.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. How do you get the bahn.de website in English? Is that 06:44 and 10:45 am?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi M,

On a 24 hr clock 06:45 is AM. 6:45 PM is 18:45.

T oge the English menu at www.bahn.de click on "English" where it says
English | Français | Italiano | Español
under "Suchen".

The train takes 8:32 hr and costs 118E. You could fly it from CDG or ORY in under 2 hr for 80E pp.

See www.whichbudget.com.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The current full fare 113.40 € with the discounted Prem's fare at 87.90 €. However, SNCF fares will have undergone their annual increase before your travel date, so you can add 2 or 3%. Currently, there are flights available from Orly for 30.24 €. July fares are also sure to be higher.

The environmental index for the train is 24kg of CO2 on this route. If you take the plane, you will create 103kg of CO2.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ira and Kerouac. I don't know how I missed that.

How do you find the PREM fares? Are all the trains from Paris to Munich the same or are some better? Is 2nd class air conditioned?

Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi M,

To find PREMS fares directly, you have to use the French Language Site at www.voyages-sncf.com.

Otherwise, book your ticket 90 days in advance.

The only PREMS I see for 90 days out on the direct train is a 50E pp 2cl couchette fare for only 50E on the night train, but I don't think that you want to share bunks with 4 strangers.

There is an 88E PREMS fare on the 08:04, but you have to change in Strasbourg and it adds 3 hr.

I do suggest flying this route, unless you have a problem.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. I really appreciate your help. I went to the whichbudget.com site, but only saw AirBerlin come up as an airline to fly to Munich from Paris. I am a fearful flyer and am VERY fearful of airlines I know nothing about and really wanted to take the train. Is it not scenic to take the train to Munich? We thought it sounded fun. We loved taking the train through Italy last summer. Very scenic and relaxing.

Strasbourg is somewhere I have always wanted to visit, but 3 hours with luggage wouldn't be the way I want to see it.

Are some trains better than other? Are they all air conditioned in both first and second class?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM

In July, you might have some brand new TGV's on the Paris-Munich line. The TGV-Est site shows an arrow for TGV trains continuing beyond Stuttgart, which I presume means Munich. It indicates that travel time from Paris to Stuttgart will be 3h40 (as opposed to 6h now). The TGV-Est starts running in June and will have the fastest trains in the world.

All French long distance train cars have air conditioning, especially the TGV. Not sure about German train cars, some of which are obviously used out of Paris on non-TGV trains.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Regarding all of the low cost airlines, it should be pointed out that one of the German low cost carriers (I don't know which one) apparently went bankrupt on Friday. I was talking to my colleague who operates our ticket counter at Nice airport, and she said that the airport had been a madhouse all day because the flights to Germany on that carrier had been cancelled without warning. Finally, another airline decided to accept all of their worthless tickets.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
ira

Hi M,

>..I am a fearful flyer ...<

In which case, you ought to take the train.

Good thinking, K.

The schedule for the TGV EST from Paris to Stuttgart is at http://tinyurl.com/2tddlq

Service will start on June 10, 2007.

You will be able to get to Stuttgart in about 3:30 hr.

Keep checking the schedules at www.voyages-sncf.com to see if they will book you through to Munich via Stuttgart on the TGVE.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you thank you! I REALLY appreciate all the help.