Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transcontinental Hotel Paris (Montparnasse) - any info?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transcontinental Hotel Paris
155 Avenue du Maine
75014 Paris
France

I found a cheap rate of 69 Euros per night for a twin room through hotelclub.net.

It's easier to link to this description on another site, though, so that is what I am using here:

http://www.discounthotelreservation....otel_Paris.htm

Now - here's the shocker - it says it has air conditioning in the rooms. If this is indeed true, I could feel confident booking it for this July. However, I can't find any info on it other than one review.

The pictures look satisfactory.

Does anyone know something about it?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

My husband was just giving me his professional opinion that it was almost impossible that all of the rooms in a building like that would have proper air conditioning in the rooms.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Here's the web site, in French, claiming that the rooms have
"Climatisation".

http://www.transcontinental.fr/
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:47 PM

I leave in this area, it's a very good district. I've never gone to the hotel Transcontinental but I advise you to go to the hotel Best Western Bretagne Montparnasse. It's a very good and clean 3 stars hotel. It is located near the Gaieté street,a famous street with a lot of theatres, and near Montparnasse train station and tour. It costs 90 € for a twin room with a bath.
Their website is: www.bwbretagne-montparnasse.com
Have a nice trip in Paris!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Clouclou, thanks for the info about the area. Somehow I seem to be considering the Montparnasse area more than any other.

The Best Western Bretagne Montparnasse says it has "climate control" (going by the description on the Expedia site):
http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...new&from=m

Do you think there would be adequate air conditioning for July? I notice it looks like an older building.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:00 AM

In my experience anything callled "climate control" or "climatization" is not real air conditiong. A hotel that has AC will almost always say AC. I think this is one of those retrofitted air blower systems that may take the temp down a couple of degrees but is useless if it is really hot.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:35 AM

WillTravel, I like the looks of this hotel, but have never stayed there.
http://www.apollon-hotel-paris.com/E.../TheHotel1.htm

It states that it is "fully air-conditioned" and a twin is 82 euro. It is one block off Metro Pernety, Line 13. I was not able to find any web comments about it, however.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:23 AM

I looked at that website (Transcontinental) and I'm not sure I would trust that description to mean real AC in the room, either. I think the Montparnasse area is a good idea because it's pleasant and convenient, but hotels are cheaper than the central area. However, I wouldn't really want that location which is not around Montparnasse blvd. and really near Mouton Duvernet metro, isn't it? I think it's better closer to bd Montparnasse and if I were going to spread out, I would choose around Daguerre or Denfert Rochereau, myself.

I do know hotels that use the term "climatisation" and it does mean real AC (and that is the real French term, I think, air conditionne is Anglicized), so it is possible.

I'm not sure I've seen a hotel with AC that cheap in central Paris. Even the 2* hotels that have it are more around 100-110 euro for a double. The HOtel du Midi right near Denfert Rochereau RER/metro stop (which would be a good location IMO) does have AC (and they call it air conditionne on their website) and it very reasonably priced, but is around 80-100 euro, I think.
http://www.midi-hotel-paris.com

I think the Hotel Renoir and Unic on rue du Montparnasse have AC and are relatively cheap for the area. The Bretagne MOntparnasse Hotel mentioned sounds good, also, if you can figure out if it really has AC. The other hotels I know and stay at are 125 euro and above now, for a double, I guess with AC. YOu can get discounts in July, however -- I do and have gotten doubles around 100 euro in Montparnasse with AC, but not for a couple years now (about 15-25 pct off normal rates).
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

I sent an email to Transcontinental about the A/C and got this response:

Dear Madam,
a type of our air conditioning is with a gas (not water).

=======
Can anyone help me decipher that?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:13 PM

I'm not educated about a/c but I thought a/c is operated with water. I can't imagine a/c with gas. Better to look for another hotel just to be sure that you'll get a/c as we know it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

My husband thought they perhaps meant Freon. But as I mentioned above, the facade of the hotel and the price does not inspire me to think this is true A/C.