Search

Trains in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains in Italy

I am thinking of taking the train from Florence to Venice and then after 4 days the train from Ven to Rome. Now when I check the trentartia site I see different trains like ES or IC or ICN or EN. I am not sure what the differences are. Can someone here enlighten me.
Also , do I have to buy them online or can I just buy them the day of in these cities.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM

The fastest and the most comfortable are the ES (Eurostar). The ticket for an ES train includes a seat reservation.

There is, I think, no need to buy online, but I would try to buy the ticket to Venice on arrival in Florence, to Rome on arrival in Venice, either at the train station or at a travel agency.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM

The letters denote class of service. You have probably heard of France's TGV. Italy has a similar class of train (it can average over 125 MPH).

The biggest difference is that the TGV Class of trains require you to purchase a reservation as well as a seat.

At the other extreme, there are some trains that have no 1st class cars, only 2nd class cars.

As long as there are not too many times that you have to change trains to get from city A to city B, then I find Italian trains to be fine.

Except for the TGV class trains, we do not reserve, just walk up to the ticket window.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM

There's no need to buy tickets before the trip unless yuo want overnight sleepers or will be traveling on a major holiday. But - I would buy them 2/3 days in advance when you get to the departure city -just to be sure you get the train you want.

If you go to bahn.de you can see all of the time options (so you can look for best times and no changes).
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Somewhere on the Trentartia site is an explanation of the train codes. As I remember it is not obvious but it is there somewhere. We have traveled most of the routes you are looking at never bought a ticket more than a day in advance -- and at peak times. Just back from over 3 weeks in Italy. Rome, Florence, Milan,Zurich and several other small side trips. All second class and never had a train more than half full.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM

From Florence to Venice, it's not a highspeed line. There's no difference in travel time between a ES or an IC/EC train. The ES are nicer and the price includes reservations. The IC will be a little bit cheaper, but if you add reservations, it will end up about the same. Just pick the train that fits your schedule.

From Venice to Rome, the only direct trains during the day are the ES.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

TRhanks everyone. I think I will wait till I am over there before purchasing tickets.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
ira

Hi M,

ES* trains are almost always on time. IC are often late.

Do yourself a favor and buy all of your tickets at once. You will only have to wait on one line.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Indeed ES trains i believe have a price guarantee of some kind of refund if they are say more than 20 mins or so late. Not sure details but there is incentive to make them run on time.