Parking in Florence

Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Parking in Florence

We will be arriving in Florence by car for three nights and thought we would check to see if anyone has a good reccomendation of where to park for three days. We do not plan on using the car while in Florence. Thank you.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM

Rifredi train station parking garage?
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
ira

Hi T,

It might help if you tell us where you are staying.

Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:07 AM

If you have selected your hotel or lodging, I would suggest that you consult your hosts. Florence has unique driving restrictions and parking issues and local directions are very helpful.
My first visit included a 3 night parking challenge and the hotel arranged for our car to be picked up upon arrival, parked and then returned to us at the end of our stay. Worked well w/o a problem but even then, parking was about $20 a day. I have returned to Florence at least a half dozen times since, I never park overnight but have driven in or out several times. It's a challenge--get a good map of the one-way streets and be prepared. Paul
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at Dei Mori B & B. It is about halfway in between Ponte Vechhio and the Duomo. They said there are a couple garages nearby, but they are quite expensive, so I thought I would check to see if I could find something a little less expensive.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
ira

Hi T,

You can always park at the Piazza Michaelangelo and take the bus to your hotel, but if you want convenience you will have to pay for it.

Is it possible to drop off your car in Florence and get a new rental when you leave?

Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

After going back and forth about train vs car vs train and car, we got a great deal on a long term rental provided we pick-up and drop-off in the same location, which isn't a problem because we are flying in and out of Munich. We understood that parking fees would be a necessary evil, we are just trying to minimize them...
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM

Are you sold on that B&B? They don't sound very helpful about the parking situation.

We have stayed in Santa Croce about 3 times and our apartment hosts always arranged parking at Garage Verde.

We also stayed in a moderate hotel in Piazza Repubblica that had someone pick up and drop off our car.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM

Another thought: how about the airport then bus or cab to your hotel?
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Is it really possible to park for free at Piazza Michaelangelo? That was a suggestion of the B & B as well. Is it ok to leave car there for a couple days?
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Re: "possible to park for free at Piazza Michaelangelo?" I wouldn't for three days-probably wouldn't overnight!
Jul 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Hotel Silla, is a charming hotel, with parking. The other good thing being on the side of the river where Piazza Michelangelo is you have an easy drive to the hotel from the Piazza. An easy way to get to Florence and at the same time the hotel Silla has a great location.
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:44 AM
ira

Hi T,

Yes, you could leave your car for three days at PM.

Do not leave anything in it that belongs to you.