Parking in Florence

Search

Parking in Florence

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in Florence

We are going to be stopping in Florence for the day on our way to Southern Tuscany (Pienza). We've heard lots of negatives on the driving and parking in Florence. Any ideas of where we should leave our car? Should we park at a train station a stop or two away from Florence and take the train in or try to find parking in Florence. We realize that a day in Florence is not much, but when it came to our priorities this is the time that we have. Our plans for Florence are to see David (tickets already purchased) and to walk around checking out the city.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Trying to find a parking spot is always the worst part of a day in Florence. On three occasions we drove around in circles for over an hour and were so agitated by the time we finally found a place, that it took a long time to get back in a good mood. On another couple of occasions, we took the train into Florence (from Chiusi) and we had a much better time-- I vote train!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM

The Chiusi idea is good and also Fiesole has parking and you can take the bus into Piazza San Marco. If you search parking lots in Florence Italy on Google you will see quite a few. If you park in the outer ones you can walk or take a bus into the center. We never had a problem finding a parking lot...maybe we were just lucky. I personally would never park on a street because you just never know the rules on that street.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Drive up to Fiesole to park---there is a lot just beind the main drag. You can then bus down the hill to near the stazione.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into parking at Fiesole.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM

The airport is easy, close, and requires no flirting with the no driving zones.

Lastra is very close and has lots of trains into Florence, and parking at the train station. Way closer than Chiusi.

Where are you driving from?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

We are coming from Verona.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Another option: The Googlemaps recommended route from Verona to Florence has you swing west of Florence on the Autostrada del Sole and approach from the south. Following this route, you would be quite close to the parking area at Piazzale Michelangelo, which would make a wonderful first view/overview of Florence. From there you can take a bus to the center, but it's a pretty easy downhill walk as well. Take a bus or taxi on the reutrn to avoid a steep climb.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This map shows the parking in Firenze. Zoom in and click on autovelox and ZTL to show the areas you don't want to cross. If you click on the green P's, it will give you the hours/costs of the parking.
http://news.comune.fi.it/muoversi/se...ervizi=Servizi
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM

What about parking at Piazza Michaelangelo and taking the bus (or walking) into Florence proper? We parked for an hour there free. I don't know if there was a time limit. Didn't seem to be. If you do the hop on hop off bus there is a stop there.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Take the A22 to A1. I would drive around Florence and exit the hook at E35 and take the SR2 north. Via Senese is SR2 and it's a simple ride into Oltrarno. There are several garages across the street from Giardino di Boboli. You can't miss them. If you enter Florence this way, you will find the exit into Tuscany very easy. I've learned the hard way.