Italy - Travelling by Train - Need Help

Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Italy - Travelling by Train - Need Help

I will be traveling in Italy and need help with my train accomodations. Here's my iteneray:

1) Arrive at Fiumicino airport Rome at 4:10 pm local time. Need to take the train from the airport to Rome Termini station to head to Naples. I am all set with that train but need to know how much time I should allow between the time I arrive and board my train from Termini station to Naples?

2) What is our best bet for 1st class tickets travelling on the high speed trains throughout Italy? Should I book my city to city passes separately or buy a multi pass? We will go from Rome to Naples, Naples to Florence, then Florence back to Rome. Thoughts & help please?
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
ira

Hi dt,

1: Because we had to wait for our baggage to show up, the longest it took us from landing at FCO to the head of the tracks at Termini was 3 hr.

There is a train every hour. Buy your ticket to Napoli when you buy your ticket for the Leonarda da Vinci shuttle to Termini.

If the agent has time, you can buy all of your tickets at FCO, otherwise, you can get them at any other train station.

2. If you check the schedules at www.trentialia.com, you will see that there is no dearth of trains.

You can either buy online if there are good discount fares, or wait until you get to Italy.

I don't think a railpass will save you any money, since you will have to purchase an additional seat reservation for the high-speed trains, but you can check the prices yourself.

Are you sure you want to spend the extra on 1cl?

Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM

With TrenItalia and particularly high-speed EuroStar trains (this ones are the fastest on Rome-Naples route) it does make sense to purchase your ticket in advance online via official website. Since by doing so you can take advantage of a special promo fares (offer called MINI), as result 2nd class ticket Rome-Naples for EuroStar trains start only from 9 EUR, which is a real bargain comparing to a full fare 45 EUR ticket. With 1st class it's not that economical, but still MINI offer is from 39 EUR, while full fare ticket (thus price you pay at the station) is 58 EUR, so you basically save like 20 EUR out of nothing.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM

I too would wait until you actually arrive in Rome--the vagaries of plane travel and going through customs could easily affect your timing. Also alert your hotel to your possible later hours. Oh, we went from the airport to the termini to Perugia and I thought it was about a 20-minute walk to the Perugia track. Another possible factor for dtorps.

Question to those who know: If one buys in advance a 1st class ticket and misses the train, what are the options?

There isn't a huge amount of difference between 1st and 2nd class in the trains, but Hub and I always splurged on the Eurostar when we could. More room, the food cart comes to you. Silly I suppose but if you are jet-lagged and confused, it's nice.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM

What is our best bet for 1st class tickets travelling on the high speed trains throughout Italy?>

Well for more than a few first class train rides between key cities then yes the Italy Eurailpass will be a great deal - it allows travel on trains as you wish - no need to pre-book non-changeable online tickets that if discounted would be hard to change. At full fully flexible fares just a few train rides around Italy will make the pass pay, in first class that is and IME of riding trains in Italy for years first class is much much more relaxed than 2nd class - seats are bigger - fewer in same size rail car and IME often empty seats near me so I can put my bags on them rather than fending often for space in often overcrowded overhead luggage racks in 2nd class.

Great sources IMO for Italian train info and passes - http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id12.html; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. Check www.trenitalia.com for sample fares in first class to compare to the pass. Note with the pass you will have to pay 10 euros for mandated seat reservations for each train so figure that into your calculations.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM

a first-class Italy railpass for six unlimited travel days out of a 2-month period ('flexipass') p person on a Saverpass - two or more folks traveling together on one pass costs about $58/day or about 40 euros a day - for fully flexible first class travel on any train you want virtually (save a few private lines you will never encounter or which are like Naples to Sorrento dirt cheap - 3 euros!) - plus add on 10 euros per train trip - then compare to regular first-class fares on trenitalia.com.

If traveling more than six days extra days are just $30/day in first class p.p. say if you want a 7th day - up to a max of 10 days - or about 20 euros a day for extra days!
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM

Is your destination actually Naples or somewhere down the coast? You might have options other than train depending on final destination.

No clue why PQ wants you to buy a 6 day pass when you only have three travel days listed.

>>>Question to those who know: If one buys in advance a 1st class ticket and misses the train, what are the options?<<<

Your options aren't based on ticket class. It's based on type of fare. The discount Mini Fares have more restrictions than regular base fares which also have some restrictions. The Flessible fare has the least. It's like booking a full fare airline ticket which you can do for either coach or biz.

>>>2) What is our best bet for 1st class tickets travelling on the high speed trains throughout Italy? Should I book my city to city passes separately <<<

Not sure what you mean by city passes. Are you asking about transportation within cities such as Rome or Naples? If so, they aren't included in a train pass.

The airport train doesn't have 1st and 2nd class. There are no reserved seats and no amenities.
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM

We never buy our tickets more than a day in advance and usually buy them the day of travel using the ticket machines.

If you buy in advance and miss your train or it is cancelled, get a refund or making a change can be tedious especially if you are not fluent in Italian.
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:18 AM

We did this in May buy at station easy cheap they take credit cards. seat61.com/italy best train info Rome Naples by FrecciaRosa fast train was 40 euro 1 hour for us last May.
booking.com great hotels at discounts eurocheapo.com for
budget. Headed there again in 2 weeks cannot wait we LOVE
Italia!

Happy Trails!
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM

The airport train doesn't have 1st and 2nd class.>

technically one class but you need a first class pass to ride it and be covered - 2nd class pass won't fly on the airport train - at least the dedicated Leonardo Express trains - the other local trains from Tiburtina and Ostiense and Trastevere yes either class pass is valid.
Apr 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM

2) What is our best bet for 1st class tickets travelling on the high speed trains throughout Italy?>

kybourbon - I misread the OP - I thought they were literally taking the trains throughout Italy - in addition to cities mentioned. Thus a 6-day sample for pass. I were mistaken I guess.
Apr 4th, 2012, 11:11 PM

dtorps, I would agree that it's probably NOT wise to purchase train tickets in advance for the day you arrive in Italy. Thus, for the FCO to Roma Termini run AND the Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale route, I would purchase those tickets upon arrival at the FCO train station. There are multiple kiosks available and/or a full-service Trenitalia counter. These articles, with plenty of pictures, might assist you in this process:
http://tinyurl.com/FCO-trains ** http://tinyurl.com/FCO-LE
http://tinyurl.com/buy-tickets-2011 ** http://tinyurl.com/roma-termini

The other two sets of tickets you need, if you don't mind being locked to specific trains, times, etc... I WOULD buy in advance as you can save some money. Trenitalia is introducing an "updated" website. These two posts could help you through the "newer" online process" and how to use a PNR code on board!
http://tinyurl.com/trenitalia-online ** http://tinyurl.com/ticketless

For such short journey's I'm not sure I'd purchase 1st class tickets but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference. Sometimes though, you can get MINI-priced tickets for 1st class at at a lower cost than BASE-priced 2nd class tickets. That's when we splurge. Just last week I booked a €9 MINI ticket (2n class) from Rome to Naples. For more about MINI's, you might read this: http://tinyurl.com/MINI-fare

GAC does an excellent job of describing the differences in 1st versus 2nd here: http://tinyurl.com/1st-or-2nd

The MINI, as, mentioned above, is a great way to save money... and I'd agree that with only three days of train travel, you don't need a rail pass. You'll enjoy the convenience of train travel in Italy - Good Luck on your trip!
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:29 AM

I wonder how crowded the trains will be from Venice to Rome on April 30. I know May 1 is a holiday.
Apr 5th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Holidays can see slacker crowds on trains IME as business types are not traveling and as this is a long holiday starting the previous Saturday then most Italians traveling will be where they are going - May 1 may be more crowded as folks return. The worst would be that you would have to buy a first-class ticket and that IMO is what anyone on the trip of a lifetime in Italy should do - anyway I would not wory about crowds on trains that day - hourly trains as well as more from Venice-Mestre station across the lagoon.
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:28 PM

I am told that buying a ticket online on trenitalia has a problem that the ticket will come to an address in Italy... Is that true.
1. Cant we take a print out of the ticket
2. Or collect the ticket from a machine, once we reach Italy (though we purchase it online now)..
any other way
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:01 AM

"Holidays can see slacker crowds" or they can be packed, particularly on the return day. You absolutely need reservations in advance, and you should expect long lines to use the toilet or get something to eat in the station. Or at least that has been our experience.
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM

>>>I am told that buying a ticket online on trenitalia has a problem that the ticket will come to an address in Italy... Is that true.
1. Cant we take a print out of the ticket<<<<

Trenitalia does not mail tickets outside of Europe. If you purchase online you will be e-mailed a ticket code. Use Ron's link about purchasing online for screen-by-screen instructions.
http://www.roninrome.com/transportat...ebsite-updated
Apr 7th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Sorry, off topic---but I did start a thread about my need for skills to use the forums more efficiently. I want to know how you pull the quote from a post into your reply, ie. <<< like this>>>. Obviously I'm a techno-peasant. Good with using word processing program alone, but can't figure out technique for using its features when I'm on a site--- don't see anything allowing me to select copy/paste. Any patient soul out there who can teach me how? (Is there an edition in the "________ for Idiots" series that explains these things.
Apr 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Highlight what you want to copy and then press control (ctrl on your keyboard) and c at the same time. Then place it wherever you want by putting your cursor on the page and pressing control and v at the same time. I add the >>> <<< so people know it's someone's question or words.
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM

<<>>

Couldn't have done it without you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO