Train Vienna to Venice

Search

Train Vienna to Venice

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Vienna to Venice

My partner and I would like to travel by train from Vienna to Venice on a Sunday or Monday in June. We prefer a day train. What is the best site to use?
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at this thread...you need to do a little work on your own:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...uld-we-fly.cfm
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM

https://www.oebb.at/en/

The oficial Austrian Railways site has the sdchedules and various fares, including discounted ones that are albeit I believe non-changeable non-refundable and sold in limited supplies so they can indeed sell out far in advance so book early and book in stone of course - but much cheaper than walk up fares.

There is also a night train between the two - same site for info.

The thread Dukey gave above has absolutely nothing to do with the train you are talking about - (Dukey needs to do a little homework of his own!)

For lots of good advice on European trains and night trains check out IMo these superb sites: www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you looking to buy tickets or just want to see timetables?
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:36 AM

For tickets and fares only the Austrian site I think will give that - for schedules in general but no fare and no chance to buy I would check the www.bahn.de/en or German Railways site - the easiest of any I have found to use. but don't think they will have fares.
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! I am looking to buy tickets from the US prior to our trip. I was looking at daytime trains and overnight trains, but was having trouble deciding on the best time. The overnight trains seem like the best for cost and amount of time, but the day trip would offer more scenery. Looking for advice if others have done either or both trips.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done the journey in day time. The scenery is beautiful in spots, but not extraordinary. It's been a few years, but we went (on separate days) Vienna-Innsbruck without a connection and Innsbruck-Venice without a connection. I bought the Vienna-Innsbruck tickets on the OEBB website in advance and bought the Innsbruck-Venice tickets just before getting on the train.

I dislike overnight trains. Make sure there are no middle-of-the-night connections and see how many stops there are along the way. I wake up at every stop from the noise.