Search

Train travel Vienna to Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train travel Vienna to Salzburg

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to travel to Vienna and Salzburg in the 1st week of May. Need some help with regards to travel from Vienna to Salzburg. I am reaching Vienna from Istanbul in the morning.
- Can I take a train from Vienna Airport to Salzburg directly?
- Or do I need to go to Vienna first and then take a train from Vienna to Salzburg?
- In either case, do I need a prior reservation or are the tickets available?

Likely date of travel is 5th or 6th of May 2011 and we are a group of 6 people.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.......
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM

Can't help with the trains, been to Salzburg 3 times but always by car. I would suggest visiting the Austrian train website at:
http://www.oebb.at/en/

It appears you can only book travel two months in advance, but that shouldn't be a problem. I would buy the tickets online with a credit card. You can print them immediately and use them when you arrive. I haven't done it in Austria, but have used online purchased tickets in Germany and Spain and had no problems.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM

You can't take a direct train from VIE airport to Salzburg.

Trains to Salzburg depart from Wien Westbahnhof. (Vienna West station)

The most convenient way to get there (IMO), is to take the direct bus from right outside arrivals hall (for €7) which will drop you off at the entrance of Westbahnhof (after only 1 stop en-route at the Südbahnhof).

Can't help with the tickets, but you can buy in advance via Austrian Rail's website (the one agedude mentioned).
Since you cannot calculate the exact arrival time, and the time you need for the bus transfer, I'd go for an unrestricted ticket (costs some €40).

There is one Austrian Fodorite here (molker), who will probably be able to easily answer all your questions in detail, so you should "top" your thread once in a while.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 02:33 AM

Just to add a little to the above.

Cowboy offers good advice regarding the airport transfer bus . This is the best way for airport to train station transfer - the station is the Westbahnhof as mentioned.
This bus runs every 30 minutes ( on the hour and 00:30 )
The bus just outside the Arrivals Hall. 20m meters perhaps from the door so very convenient. Check to be certsin you have the correct bus as several leaver from this area .
Signs will easily direct you.
You can buy the ticket directly from the bus driver or from the small kiosk in the Arrivals Hall nesr to the exit door.

Adequate storage for luggage under the bus compartment - many times a porter to assist you. The bus should be relatively new - clean and comfortable
The Westbahnhof is the second stop - the transfer takes 30- 45 minutes depending on traffic.

The Sudbahnhof is now closed for re-building - the first stop will be Meidling Train Station with the Westbahnhof just a few minutes more.

No need to buy tickets in advance for the train on- line .
The price is the same regardless of date purchased.
Frequent fast service to Salzburg - almost one train per hour so not long to wait. The Railjet train is comfortable .
Buy the tickets for all 6 dtraveling togethe rat once at the ticket window .
The regular fare ( 2nd class is fine ) is just under 50 euro.
But you receive a discount for the 2nd and more persons traveling together . this is fairly substantial.

No need for prior tickets or most all times reservations

www.oebb.at

The Westbahnhof has been undergoing some renovations , hopefully much is complete by the time you visit. This shold not cause any problems.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot everyone for your help.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly but it sounds like you are flying into Vienna and want to go directly to Salzburg.

If that is the case, there are flights from Vienna to Salzburg. No need to go into the city and take the train.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks joannyc. i also thought of the same. in case i am taking a flight to salzburg - can i get tickets after arrival on 5th / 6th may or is advance booking recommended
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Seems to me that it is always cheaper to book flights in advance.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM

ttt