Train Travel in Italy

Search

Train Travel in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Travel in Italy

Would greatly appreciate any experienced feedback.

Our main source of travel will be taking the train through Italy, so we have a couple of questions.

Is there any real difference in first class to economy?

In terms of our luggage, can it be locked up in lockers, or will there be enough overhead space, etc?

Thank you.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I don't think there is enough difference between second and first to justfy the cost. But some do. First class will have larger seats and few people in each car. But generally all cars are fairly comfortable not like airlines.

Most cars (not all) will have an open storage area near where you board. It is unsecured so bring a cable lock and lock your luggage to something or to each other. Overhead racks will easily hold carryon size bags and sometimes bigger luggage -- again use a cable lock. Sometimes seats are arranged so that a pair of seat face each other. Often there will be a space between the back of opposite facing seats where you can slide in a large suitcase. No one has any inherant rights to luggage space -- even the space over your seat so be prepare to storage your luggage where ever you can. There is a definate advantage to traveling with carryon size bags rather than large suitcases. And be generous with use of cable locks -- even if you are sitting on your luggage.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM

this site is dated 2005 , and has some info about the differences between the different types of services and classes

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/service.htm
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's some pics of ES trains.
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_s...ity/index.html
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM

just to add, this is the main page about trains in Italy on the slowtravel website

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM

First Class gives you roomier/comfier seats and is usually less crowded. this will give you more room for your luggage (which I hope is VERY small).

There is no checking luggage on trains. either it stays with you (you lift it onto the small overhead rack) - or it goes in an empty space at the end of the car. If your is big and you need to do the latter bring a lock so you can chain it to something - and not have to go watch it whenever the train stops.

And - many station don;t have porters - so you need to get the luggage from the station entrance up to - or down to - the platforms - and the often up several narrow steps into the train.

STRONGLY suggest that you not take any bag that you can't easily lift over your head.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM

bookmarking, thanks!!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The biggest difference I have noticed is 1st class is much less crowded, typically.

As clarified above, you need to handle your own luggage getting it on and off the train. You put it either in the luggage rack at the end of the car if it is large, or in the rack over your head at your seat, or sometimes possible between seats/behind if the suitcase is small and depending on the seat configuration of the particular train.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM

We traveled throughout Italy by train and it was much less stressful than I anticipated, but then again I was somewhat used to train travel in Europe (from Paris and London). We both had very large bags, and it was quite a pain. First, the trains are PACKED, especially at rush hour. The city trains don't have assigned seats, so you pretty much have to push your way in. It really helps to get to the platform early so you're ready to pile on. Also, if you have any questions (ie. the train is late and you don't know where it'll be picking up) as the info desk people. They're very helpful, and don't expect people around you to speak english, on one train we couldn't even get across that we were asking if this was economy or first. All that said, it was all fine for us. Although it was tight sometime we fit our luggage, and made all our trains. I would book Eurostar if you can instead of the IC becasue you'll have more recourse if they get cancelled. Talking to an Italian I work with, the IC is unpredictable and trains get cancelled without warning sometimes. Sorry, I realize I'm being a little alarmist. Let me say again, it was all fine for us, just wanted you to be prepared. Enjoy Italy. It's wonderful.