Search

Regionale Veloce luggage room?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2018, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regionale Veloce luggage room?

Hi fellow fodorites,
Quick question... we will be travelling from Rome to Chiusi on a Saturday and unfortunately the rental car office closure time means we can't catch the Intercity but instead will book a Regionale Veloce train.
It seems there is only one class on this train and I am a little worried about luggage space? We will have travelled from Australia and before anyone makes the suggestion, we will not have carryon luggage
Thanks in advance.
Oz
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 01:07 AM

Regionale trains have different configurations but generally there are racks to store luggage at the end of the carriage and often room to put your bag in the 'V' between seats which are facing in opposite directions. I've never had a problem with luggage on Italian trains although there can sometimes be a bit of a kerfuffle while everyone stashes their stuff and finds a seat - never a problem though.

My recommendation with regard to luggage if it's at all possible is to have two bags, perhaps one small rolling suitcase and a day pack. So much easier to manage but gives you the same capacity. I check the case in because it's more than 7kg and take the day pack on board. A large suitcase is a PITA, especially if it's too heavy to lift up and down stairs.
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are not going to be able to check any luggage I suspect nor do you need to IMO. There are, as was stated, generally racks above every seat and there may be room UNDER the seat. Get on the train first if at all possible.
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 11:22 AM

I meant check in luggage for the flight, not the train. Sorry if that was confusing.

I think that the racks above the seats are too small for a largish suitcase and I know that I personally struggle to lift a case of more than about 8kg above my head. If you've large cases, your best bet is the end of the carriage (although not all carriages have storage racks at the end). You won't have a problem providing you can lift and carry your luggage.
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies... this has resulted in me re evaluating my whole plan lol
Thinking we might skip Rome now and go straight from FCO to Florence (and change car rental to Florence) - just wondering whether I would make the direct train at 3.08 when landing at 1.25.....
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"... just wondering whether I would make the direct train at 3.08 when landing at 1.25..... "

Even if you could catch a train at FCO at 3:00 p.m. (and there are no guarantees), you wouldn't reach Chiusi until after 6:00 p.m. AFAIK, the car rental offices in Chiusi aren't open on Saturday afternoons or on Sundays.

You'd probably have the same problem in Florence unless you travelled yet one more step to the Florence Airport where offices are open late (and on Sunday). But after your all-day trek to Florence, I would hope you weren't planning to start driving....

What is your Tuscany destination? It might make more sense to spend the night near FCO and rent the car at the airport first thing in the morning.
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean,
Just to clarify, we would train to Florence Friday afternoon and then rent from Florence from Saturday am to drive to our rental. (Cancel the Chiusi booking.)
Our rental is in Val d'Orcia - I have considered staying near FCO (see my other post) Friday night but thought I had this all planned lol Now thinking that maybe a night in Florence is preferable but I'm very anxious about the whole ZTL thing.
The airport might be a better option for pick up in Florence.
Or, I stick with current plan and take my chances on the train from Rome
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 03:09 AM

Even if you don't catch the direct train to Florence from the airport, changing trains in Rome is no big deal. And if your plans have changed because you needed to catch a regionale service to Chiusi, then I don't think the luggage storage options on the fast frecce and intercity trains are substantially different.

I've flown into Rome 3 or 4 times and the immigration queues can be lengthy if you don't have an EU passport. You might make that train but you might not and if you prebook you blow your money if you miss it. I think it's worth paying for a ticket on arrival, even if it costs more. Your other alternative is to stop in Rome overnight and head north the next morning, in which case, I'd stay somewhere near Termini station. An evening in Rome can be a real treat - dinner then bed at a 'normal' bed time hour. btw we once caught a flight into Rome which arrived the same time as yours (from Melbourne). I'd booked Borghese Gallery tickets for 5pm. After a quick shower and change, we walked to the Gallery, enjoyed a couple of hours there, wandered back towards our hotel for dinner and were tucked up in bed about 11pm. It was a great way to start our holiday - and helped us avoid jetlag.
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 05:49 AM

I would definitely plan on spending at least the first night in Rome if you're checking luggage on the plane. If your luggage doesn't make it to Rome on the same plane that you're on, you'll be glad you're still in town for when it arrives. Happened to me this past March. They say they'll get it to you wherever you're located, but it gets complicated once you've left town.