Train Seat Classes

Oct 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Train Seat Classes

I feel silly asking, but I have only taken first class seats in the past, for any length of trip. I would like to cut some expenses- how does plain, no frills, second class seating on the Eurostar from London to Paris compare to the "Comfort-level" first class seating? it is a 2.25 hour ride to Paris.
Oct 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I've always used the Leisure Select option on Eurostar. About 1/3rd more expensive than Standard, cheaper than Business. Large seats, and you're fed and watered. Nice way to travel.
Oct 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Normal seats are just fine, and it is a very short ride. You can find tickets for about 35€ if you know how and when to look.
Oct 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac, I've used Prems on the TGV, how to find similar on the Eurostar??
Oct 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM

I just got back from a round trip paris london on the eurostar. the way there we were in the cheapest fare class, I think it's called comfort class 2. we were in a 4 seater and it was comfortable enough. On the way back we were in comfort class 1 (somehow when we booked, this was the cheapest option) and it was very nice. we had drinks (juice/beer/wine) and a delicous meal, tea and coffe. Magazine and newspapers provided and bigger seats that recline a bit.
we paid 58euros each for comfort 2, and 108euro each for comfort 1.
truly it's not a long trip, we slept for most of it the way there, so I wouldn't necessarily pay for the more comfortable class in the future.
hope that helps!
Oct 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM

the difference between first and second class on Eurostar trains is greater than on normal trains in Europe - because i understand Eurostar train sets are a tad more narrower than the typical European train - thus second class seats are tinier than usual second class seats on wider train cars. That said first class also has smaller seats. But it also has a lot more room for leisurely stowing your luggage.

I've taken both - i've done 2nd (standard) class a whole lot and always felt jammed in my seat if the train was full - if not full i move around so i perhaps have an empty seat next to me - but there is a huge difference IMO between first and second class on Eurostars. and yes in first class i've always gotten really decent food and complimentary wine, beer or champagne - sometimes a bit too much. Tall folks and physically challenged will find first class well worth the extra fare.

due to the Byzantine fare structure sometimes a Leisure first class ticket may not cost much more than the cheapest available standard class ticket so check what the cheapest available in each class is before buying - if within a few bucks go for first class - the comp food and beverages are worth it.

That said there is also a huge difference in fares
Oct 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM

...which is why I don't think it is worth it for such a short trip.

This said, I have travelled in 1st class on the Eurostar myself and loved it -- but the SNCF invited me free of charge.
Oct 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys. At the moment, the difference is notable. I guess Eurostar does not have Prems. I'll keep an eye out.
Oct 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac, Can you hook me up?? ;-)
Oct 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Eurostar does have Prems or whatever you want to call deep discounted tickets - there are a zillion levels at various prices - early bird gets the worm
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I just checked some dates at random for London-Paris-London out on December 2 and back one week later, and there are lots of Eurostars available for 32€ each way -- round trip fare 64€.
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Eurostar does not have "PREMS" because that is a marketing word coined by the French railway for their discounted, nonrefundable fares. So you will not find PREMs for Eurostar, or any other national railway than France, for that matter. So if you are looking for "PREMs", no, you won't find them.
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Standard class (UK term) / 2nd class (Continental term) has smaller sets and less legroom than first class (marketed as leisure selct and business premier by Eurostar, same seating, different ticket conditions). I'll use time-honoured terms 2nd and 1st class!

There's a huge price difference, from £59 return 2nd class, £175 return 1st class, as 1st class includes a hot meal and drinks. Nice, but expensive. Most ordinary mortals travel 2nd class unless it's a special occasion!