Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train reservations from Rome to Naples? Help?

Jun 5th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

We arrive at FCO at 10:55 AM. We need to make reservations for the train from the train station to Naples and I'm not sure how long to allow for the time from arrival at the airport to termini in Rome. I know the answer is 'it depends' but can I get an educated guess? Grazie!
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:35 PM

We just returned from Italy and took a train from Rome to Naples. We just waited until we arrived and bought our tickets (ES which come with a seat reservation) from a machine. There are trains leaving about every hour. Also there are helpful, English speaking ladies, wearing orange vests who are mingling among the ticket machines - helping passengers and answering questions.

There is a fast train going directly from FCO to Termini. If you don't have too much luggage, that's a good idea. It will take about 30 minutes. I don't have the schedule for that.

Type in FCO and Termini and see if you don't get a bunch of posts giving you that info.

If you have trouble, I do have a couple of pages (posted by Walter that deal with the schedules) that I'll be glad to find and email to you - or post on here.

Good luck and have a wonderful time.

Carol / Brahmama
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Do you mean you bought your train tickets to Naples at the train station in Rome or at the airport?
Jun 6th, 2005, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi rbn,

Train schedules from Rome to Naples are at www.trentalia.com

ES* leaves no less than hourly for Naples.

The Leonardo da Vinci express leaves FCO for Roma TE every 1/2 hr at :07 and :37.

You can buy tickets for Rome to Naples at the train station at FCO when you buy your ticket to Rome.

Jun 6th, 2005, 06:21 AM

You never know what delays you may have from your airport to Rome. Or if you check luggage (we don't)how long it will take to get your luggage. I agree with the above posters that you should buy your tickets at either FCO or the termini. We did the same thing last year and had no problem getting on the next train to Naples.
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM

A bit off-topic, but still regarding the Rome-Naples EC.

I made reservations on Trenitalia. Fortunately I printed the page at the end of the reservation process. The site advises that you will receive a "password" by mail so you can print your "paperless" ticket. I did not receive any return email with password.
I used the "forgot password" feature and still no reply. I tried another email address ..It said that it was an unregistered email address..so the correct address should be in the system.

My real question is....What will I need on the train? The reservation was for 1st class and 4 people.
Do I need a document of some type?
I do have a reservation number.
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi gray,

>What will I need on the train?<

If you will be on an ES* your printout is all you need.

It should have a PRN number on it and your car and seat numbers.

Jun 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM

It does have a Reservation Code (PNR) on it as well as the seat numbers.

What does the conductor as for? Something like an E-ticket? ...or does he enter the PNR in something to confirm it? Don't want to have a major "no ticket" problem if I can avoid it.
Thanks.
Jun 7th, 2005, 08:51 AM

All you have to give the conductor is your printed out confirmation email with the PRN. They type that into a handheld device that then prints you out a receipt. We had no hassles at all on the ES* with ticketless travel and saw many other people doing the same thing.