Train Reservations

Apr 21st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Train Reservations

Is it risky to wait until arriving in Rome before booking a train to Florence. I've been through the websites recommended and they offer to mail me the tickets for almost as much as the ticket itself!!
Has anyone waited until arriving before booking seat or is it too unlikely to get seats on the train (midday around noon)
Thanks
Apr 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Singletail

There are a lot of trains traveling that route including the Italian Eurostars. I think you would have no trouble getting tickets if you were to book at least several days ahead, if possible. I'd book the tickets as soon as I got to Rome.

Apr 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM

Yes I agree with Singletail. I didn't know what to do either. I was advised on this site to wait until I got to Rome, I wanted to travel 2 days later to Florence at 7.00am. I had no problems making a booking, I used the automated machines in Romes Termini Station entrance, I think they take Euros and credit cards. We were even allowed to change our evening return reservation at very short notice for no charge.
Apr 21st, 2004, 01:55 PM

I agree with the other posters. The route between Rome and Florence is popular and several trains department every hour. If you want to book ahead, a day or two ahead should be fine. We hopped right on the train without a reservation, but we were there in March and there weren't many tourists.
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

What about getting tickets the morning of the trip. We fly into Rome around 8am and were hoping to get a train to Florence around noon....is this possible? Do you think we would be able to get two tickets 4 hours prior to traveling on the train?
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:41 PM

I purchased my tickets through the Trenitalia website (Italian version) and it works perfectly. I have e-tickets for my trips and there is no surcharge!
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:47 PM

You don't have to pre-pay/buy a train ticket. Purchasing a ticket at Rome's Termini station for Florence is fine. I have bought day of travel (~ 1.5 hours prior) or even day before.
Apr 21st, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. Very helpful!!
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM
ira

Hi norahe,

You can purchase your tickets for Rome/Florence at the train station at FCO when you buy your ticket to Rome.

They will put you on the next available train.

You can, if you wish, buy your ticket online from www.trenitalia.com.

See Trenitalia Tickets Online
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34465647
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:58 PM

I bought 2nd class Eurostar tickets for 6 last June 10 minutes before departure. You should be able to purchase at the airport if you don't want to wait til you get to Termini.

Search this Thread