Layover in London - time to do anything?

Apr 21st, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Layover in London - time to do anything?

I will be flying into London - arriving at Heathrow at 7 am. Will then fly to Geneva on EAsyjet from Gatwick at 3:40 same day.
Need suggestions on what of London can reasonably be seen in that time. Also, what about my bags? Any ideas - bus tours, perhaps?
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:38 AM

Go to Windsor; it's very close, and you should have enough time to visit the Castle if you get there when it opens. Windsor is a great town with lots of little shops.
Apr 21st, 2004, 08:42 AM

I agree with going to Windsor - its nearby, cute and you can see the castle. Considering the time it will take from your plan landing til you get through passports, pick up luggage and clear customs (I would think 8:30 at the earliest) and the time you will need to leave to get to Gatwick (I would think no later than 1 pm - but don;t have the exact bus schedule) there really isn;t time to get into central London and see much of anything.
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion... how close is Windsor? Would you just take a taxi? What about luggage? Is it not pretty quick to take the train from Heathrow into downtown London and then there is the Gatwick express back to Gatwick? And perhaps leave the luggage at Victoria station?
Anybody comment on this? Other suggestions?
Thanks to all.
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM
ron

Swissgirl, if it were me, I would do what you suggest, go into London, leave the luggage at Victoria station, and spend 4 or 5 hours just wandering around before taking the Gatwick Express out to Gatwick. If the weather was nice I would spend most of my time outdoors, walk up past Buckingham Palace, into the Royal Parks (Green Park and St James Park), pub lunch at the Red Lion in Crown Passage. If you wanted to actually visit something,Westminster Cathedral (RC), Westminster Abbey, Tate Britain, Cabinet War Rooms are reasonably close.

If you decided to go to Windsor, you would have to use the left luggage at the airport terminal and reclaim it before the hour long bus ride to Gatwick.
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM

I usually recommend a short visit to Windsor. But for your itinerary it really doesn't make much sense. You need to get to Gatwick. So head into Victoria Station. depending on how much luggage you have and how fit you are, you can use a car service, tube w/ a change of lines, or Heathrow Express + tube or taxi. Stash your bags at left luggage at Victoria Sta. With a 7 a.m. landing you can be to Victoria by 9 or 10 a.m. depending on type of transport you use.

Then you'll have until about 2 p.m. to wander around before having to be at Victoria to catch the Gatwick Express.

That would be enough time to see Big Ben/ Parliament, Westminster Abbey, the river, and have lunch.
Apr 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM

I agree. Since you have some time, and if you want to save some $, take the Tube. Take the Piccadilly line, change to District/Circle line to Victoria. Leave the luggage at Victoria, and you should have at least 4 hours in central London. Make sure you leave Victoria for Gatwick no later than 1:30p.

Search this Thread