Train or Bus between Venice and Padua

Apr 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Train or Bus between Venice and Padua

We're going to visit Venice, but want to stay in Padua (Padova) for the lower-priced hotels. The latest train that I can find to return to Padua is at approx 5:30pm, which is unacceptable for experiencing the evening life in Venice. Where can I find links (in English) that will show me other (later) modes of transportation back to our hotel in Padua? Train, bus, taxi, mule... will consider all options. Thanks.
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Trains run to Padua about twice an hour a lot later than that - to midnight i suspect - buses may not even run the route.

I stayed in Padua once and night-tripped to Venice and came back about 11pm on the train.

www.trenitalia.com for schedules or the easier to use www.bahn.de
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Hi CN - Your obviously not looking in the right place

www.trenitalia.com

Trains run all evening until just after midnight.

Steve
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Like i said i did this once - stay in Padua for cheaper accomms and would never do it again.

Whatever the price, stay in Venice IMO!
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info and speedy replies. Guess I'll have to wrestle with the non-english sites. Palen - would you not stay in Padua because you felt you missed something by not staying in Venice, or is there some other reason?
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Yes - felt sad to have to leave each night and loved being in Venice in the early morning - i'm not a late night person so around 7 or 8 had to return to Padua when i'd rather be taking a boat down the Grande Canale or listening to the orchestras in St Mark's Square - leisurely, not thinking about having to leave.

There are reasons to stay in Padua if you like quiet towns at night, etc. but just to save money i think is a poor investment IMO. and i'm not sure you can't find something nearly as cheap in Venice depending on when you go of course.

Well just my take on it.
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Palen - Ok, you convinced me. Thanks. So what's your recommendation for a hotel in Venice?
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I think if you repost that specific Q you'll get a whole lot more info than i know of. I last stayed in one right by the train station, on a tiny alley by it for like $50 but that was in October.
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Will do.