Calling home from Europe - for free

Apr 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Calling home from Europe - for free

I have been using yahoo.com/voice, and I want to report that it is awesome!

In case you haven't heard of it, I will explain: two people anywhere in the world can carry on a conversation through the Internet - for as long as they like - without charge (as long as they're both using PCs). One or the other can be on a terrestrial or cell phone, but this is a paid service. We have those geeks who invented the transistor to thank for the miracle of Voice over Internet Protocol. For more information, see www.fcc.gov/voip

Think about it: not so long ago, in order to talk overseas, you had to call a special operator and give the name and number you wanted to call, then hang up and wait until a circuit was available. When the connection was made, you would pay about $45 a minute to speak with London or Paris - and that was in dollars that were worth much more than today.

A headset with a boom microphone simplifies the logistics (and also prevents ambient noise from being as much of a problem). I use a Cyber Acoustics AC-100 that I paid less than $20 for, and it works great.

If you want to talk to me, add paristransfers to your Contact List and give me a jingle.
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I know you aren't going to like it but when you can do it for free on something the size of a cell phone on BOTH ends then it will be even better...or is that also possible right now?
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Sure, it's possible - Skype has versions for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile that allow you to yak anywhere you can find an open WiFi subnet, and I wouldn't be surprised if Yahoo! announces their PPC version soon.

"I know you aren't going to like it..." What makes you think you know that?
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks Robes!
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Oh well, it actually seems when VOIP is concerned "American technology" lacks years behind "German standard". VOIP here comes "free", bundeled with every DSL connection an many (most that I know) use it. The beauty it that people use their standard phones (on both ends) and a "VOIP to standard phone" client is built into you DSL modem. Many are sold on Ebay at about 30-50€ or less. They can either be analogue or ISDN. The lastest gedget is the dsl-modem-switch-wireless-voip-router-dect with a nice dect phone.
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Actuall, Robes, when you see it, I'm sure you're going to buy one. Post if you're interested and I'll be looking for the link.
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM

http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3