Train from Venice to Milan, Hotel & transfer to Linate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help! Plan on taking the Trenitalia train from Venice Sunday afternoon Sept 11 to Milan. Then Sept 12, I am on a flight out of Milan (Linate) at 11Am. I need a nice hotel for my wife and I, convenient to the train station or convenient to Linate airport--whichever is best. What would be best method to travel between train station/hotel/airport/etc?

Is it necessary to get Trenitalia train reservations in advance on the INTERNET, or can I just buy them at the train station in Venice a day before departure?
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:38 PM

We did the exact thing in November. We purchased train tickets the day before our departure, and we had no problems (but November is also not as crowded as September).

Our Milan hotel choice was Hotel Enterprise. Enterprise is *not* centrally located at all so do not stay here if you have any intention of sight seeing. We were fine with the location because we knew we would not be getting to Milan earlier than 6:00 p.m. and that we would be leaving at 9:00 a.m. for our flight at Linate. This hotel perfectly suited our needs.

Enterprise is a very modern hotel. Upon arrival, we discovered that a double non-smoking room was not available and the clerk upgraded us to a junior suite without us asking what our other options were. The room was fantastic -- a little small (so I can't imagine what a regular size room is) -- but very beautifully decorated and with a huge balcony and even bigger bathroom. The bathroom had double sinks, and the room was completed with 2 terry cloth bathrobes and pairs of slippers. We also had turn down service complete with chocolates on our pillow. This place was a bargain at 138 Euros.

We had wonderful mojitos in the hotel's bar, Bar Prive, before dining in the restaurant called Sophia's. Sophia's was a treat -- a wonderful last meal in Italy after 5 magical nights in Venice. Sophia's had a great wine list and a short but wonderful menu. We dined on a cheese course (fantastic), spaghetti with pecorino cheese, a steak with grilled vegetables, and beef carpaccio with goat cheese. For dessert, we had a wonderful chocolate souffle with vanilla sauce and 2 cappucinnos. Total bill was 99 Euro. Very reasonable. The restaurant itself was gorgeous -- a very modern loft setting, but very warm (many red tones and soft fabrics) and a gorgeous fireplace and floral arrangements. Very romantic.

Breakfast was also included in the hotel room cost, and it was phenomenal. We again dined in Sophia's, and it was the biggest breakfast spread I have encountered anywhere in Europe...it truly looked like it was fit for a wedding buffet! Tons of breads and pastries, meats, cheese, fruits (even kiwi), eggs (many ways), cereals, etc. FANTASTIC breakfast, and very filling before our long flight back to DC.

We really agonized over where to stay in Milan the night before -- many folks recommend Villa Malpensa but it seemed expensive (based on quoted rate) and non-smoking rooms were not possible. I would stay at Enterprise again in a heart beat -- 10 km from Linate and a do-able 30 km from Malpensa. It was an excellent end to our vacation, and a wonderful choice *if* you do not plan on sight seeing in Milan itself.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks, This is exactly what I am looking for as this will be the end of our cruise from Barcelona to Venice and should be ready for some fine dining.
I presume you caught cabs in Milan?
Will we be able to get help with our bags getting on & off the train? How did you book the hotel, INTERNET?
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM

Yes...we took a cab from the train station to the hotel (about 15 minute ride). Upon our arrival at the hotel, we booked a cab for our ride to the airport in the morning -- the person who checked us in arranged for the cab. I believe the cost was around 35 euro to the airport (for 2 of us). We handled our own luggage -- 2 carry ons and 2 roller bags -- by ourselves, so I'm afraid I can't answer that question!

Yes, we booked the hotel on the internet. I used www.italyby.com, but you can also book at other websites. Here's the link via italyby:

http://www.italyby.com/enterprise/pages/apart.htm
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million. You have saved me!!

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St.Augustus
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM

Hi Hot 2,

I would recommend making a reservation for your train from Venice to Milan a day or two ahead, given that it's a Sunday afternoon. Lots of Milanese go to Venice for the weekend!

The last time I took the train from Milan to Venice it was a holiday weekend and although I was traveling on a Thursday, I was very thankful I was at the station early and got a seat. It was standing room only the whole way - and it's 3 hours.

Buon viaggio!