Train from Rome to Florence

Feb 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Train from Rome to Florence

My wife and I are arriving in Rome on a flight scheduled to arrive at 7:45AM. Our plan was to get to Rome and take a train immediately to Florence. However I was told by RailEurope that if I miss my train due to any delays the fares are lost. Has anyone tried to do this and can offer suggestions? I don't want to spend the day waiting for a train--on the other hand don't want to risk missing my train and losing $ Thanks
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Buy your train ticket when you get to Rome for the next train. It will probably be cheaper too.
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM

I agree, wait until you arrive in Rome to buy tickets. Trains from Rome to Florence are very frequent. Go to www.trenitalia.com and print out schedules so you'll know which trains are coming up (and which are the faster ones.) Rome's Termini station usually has long lines at the ticket windows, but there are easy-to-use ticket machines in the main concourse that accept credit cards.
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM

When you get to Rome airport you will need to take the Leonardo Express to the main train station in Rome (Termini). This train runs every 30 minutes and cost is 11E per person.

There are two to three trains per hour from Termini to Florence with ES the fastest (90 minutes)and 33E per person 2nd cl. You can buy both tickets at the airport.
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:41 AM
ira

Hi N,

Do NOT buy your tickets from RailEurope.

There are no discounts for the Rome/Florence route.

You can buy all of your tickets at the FCO airport if the agent is not too busy and is in a good mood.

If you want to purchase in advance, you have a good chance of making the 11:30. You will make the 12:30.

If you arrive too early, there is a nice self-serve cafeteria at the Rome TE staion where you can relax, have a cuppa and get into the rhythm of being in Italy.

Enjoy your visit.