Train From Paris to Chartes

Aug 27th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Train From Paris to Chartes

I have been looking at the scnf.com website and there are 2 train stations listed for Chartes: Chartes and Chartes Station. Which one should I choose, or doesn't it matter (thought maybe they were part of the same station, or very close together?)

According to the website some of the travel times I have chosen at random are already booked and it says there are no seats left on the train. Is Chartes this popular/busy or do they only sell so many seats before opening another "block". When I am sure of our plans should I purchase the tickets on-line and pick up in Paris? I have never "pre-booked" short train rides before, but I would hate to be standing in the train station going nowhere!
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:12 AM

I think that if ths SNCF answers you that there is no seat available, it is because you do not need to make any reservation to go to Chartres. You just need to buy a ticket and go in the train in Gare Montparnasse.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:50 AM
ira

Hi Margie,

Have you tried to purchase a ticket for the day that you will be visiting Chartres? You can book up to 60 days in advance.
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Follow parisians advice and buy your ticket at Gare Montparnasse on a good day. You want a sunny day at Chartres to appreciate the stained glass fully. I don't know if there is more than one station but I know we got there easily.
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:39 AM

There are trains all the time, you don't need to buy in advance. There's only one station, simply put in Chartres if you want to see times.

I don't understand why it would say no seats are available -- I just tried it and even though I said I wanted a reservation (knowing you cannot get one as those trains do not have reserved seats), it still came back with correct schedules and times and simply noted that the trains were "sans reservation"
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Hello, thanks for the response, you have all been very helpful.

Christina, only a few trains stated that there were "no seats available" for a specific day I typed in, obviously there are trains available at other dates and times, I just thought it was a little odd that some dates/times resulted in the message: "There are no seats left on this train". Also, when you simply put in Chartes, you do get a message that states "There is more than one station in the destination town you have selected" which is why I questioned if there was a difference between "Chartes" and "Chartes Station".