Paris to Nancy on TGV question

Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Paris to Nancy on TGV question

A friend and I would like to take the TGV from Paris to Nancy on a specific day (Sept 7). This would be a there-and-back same day, leaving fairly early in the morning, returning in the afternoon/evening. I understand it leaves from Gare d'Est. Is it necessary to book in advance, or can we book that day at the Gare d'Est station? Or is it like the RER where you can just buy the ticket on the spot?

Also planning on going from Paris to Auvers-sur-Oise, and wondering about the same thing -- I believe that one is RER to a certain point, and then a different train to Auvers-sur-Oise. Is it necessary to book transportation in advance? Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:33 AM

If you book ahead at www.voyages-sncf.com you can save a bundle - but start searching 60 days in advance as online cheap tickets can be hard to get.

For full fare you may as well buy once you get to Paris although on the sncf.com you can often print your own ticket at home - fine if you know the exact time and train you want. Otherwise wait until Paris.

Auvers on the suburban train network from Gare du Nord - no bookings possible and just buy ticket at station - or look into the train + attraction ticket if you will be going to the Chateau in Auvers and get a discount as a combo.

schedules at www.voyages-sncf.com
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM

Yes, you must book in advance (www.voyages-sncf.com) unless you want to pay full fare each way. The site is currently showing a Prem's fare on the 8:12 train to Nancy (arriving at 9:48) for 28€. There is also a return at 20:15 for 31€ (arriving in Paris at 21:45). Full fare is 62€ each way.

Auvers-sur-Oise out of Gare du Nord is just a commuter train. No reservations or special fares.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM

YOu can buy any train ticket on the spot if there are still seats available, of course. I don't understand your distinction in your booking the same day or buying on the spot (these are the same thing to me, but if you mean can you buy it on the train, no, but you can't on the RER, either). You do need to pay for a seat reservation, regardless of how far in advance you buy it.

I doubt if you need that ticket in advance, but really can't say as I haven't done that route.

There was a thread explaining about the transportation to Auvers recently. Technically, I think the train to Auvers is part of the RER system, but not in the sense that most people think in being those trains that are like the metro in central Paris. You can't use a Carte Orange, for example. SO it is a separate suburban train and is just a short run on a local train and there is no reason at all to buy that in advance. Just get the ticket when you get to Pontoise (you probably could buy that ticket in Paris at a Transilien or RER ticket office, also, I forget where I bought it). Those kind of tickets are not for a specific time of train, so you can get it in advance and use it whenever you happen to be there.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

My post crossed the above -- we are talking about two different routes to Auvers, they are talking about the train from Gare du Nord and I'm talking about taking the RER to Pontoise and transferring to a local suburban train to Auvers (which is what I did and recommend).
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

the route to Auvers from Gare du Nord goes thru a seedy part of Paris' infamous northern suburbs.

I prefer the route thru less dicey areas from RER C-1 to St Ouen l'Aumone then change to the train to Auvers there - just as quick i believe and you can hop on RER C anywhere along the Seine between Austerlitz and the Eiffel Tower.

I had an unpleasant encounter with a threatening guy on a platform on the Gare du Nord route when i had to change but perhaps this was out of the ordinary.

Pontoise also is a rather gritty but OK regional town of sorts and has some associations with some famous painters as well.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM

Takes just under an hour from Gare du Nord with a quick change at Valmondois station. Full schedules at www.transilien.com
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM

We just took the TGV from Nancy to Paris and it was full. I don't recall seeing any empty seats. I'd get tickets in advance.