Another German train question

Old Dec 11th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another German train question

Hi all- I thought I had all of the train travel figured out but just ran into another situation. . If I buy an advance ticket from Dusseldorf Flughafen to Heidelberg Bhf there is one option of riding the S-Bahn from Dusseldorf airport to Dusseldorf Bhf then catching a direct ICE train from the Dusseldorf Bhf to the Heidelberg Bhf. There is a 12 minute connection in Dusseldorf. If my flight landed earlier than expected at Dusseldorf can I buy a separate S-bahn ticket for an earlier S-Bahn that goes from the Dusseldorf airport to the Dusseldorf Bhf then get on the same ICE that my advance ticket is for (with no penalty)? I would feel more comfortable getting to the Dusseldorf Bhf earlier so the connection wouldn't be so tight. Many thanks for your help...

Old Dec 11th, 2014, 02:58 AM

Yes you can do what you propose. DB doesn't care if you miss part or all of your itinerary.

I do this as well.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Land! Buy a ticket to the train station! Use your pre-bought ticket on the next ICE. You do not need a seat reservation to ride. Pick any unreserved seat.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Travelforbeer:

You don¨t even have to buy an extra ticket. The "Zugbindung" (restriction to specific trains) is compulsory only for long-distance trains.

Generally you can take any local (S-Bahn or RE) train from DUS to Düsseldorf Hbf.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Sparky, Dukey, and Phil,

Vielen Dank!

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 12:40 PM

Phil is right. Use any local or regional train from DUS to D'dorf Hbf. (Note that whenever you do this, you must travel the exact same route - taking an alternative route, if one exists, is not permitted, and it's just like riding without a ticket - you can be cited.) The only trains you must ride exactly as scheduled (with an advance-sale savings fare ticket, that is) are the high-speed (long distance) IC, ICE, EC etc. trains.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Fussgaenger, Vielen Dank!