train from Paris to Brittany?

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train from Paris to Brittany?

We are attending a wedding in Brittany in July. We would like to a train from CDG on the day of arrival. I am having trouble understanding the SNCF website. I think we would depart from the Montparnasse train station, but I can't figure out what train station would we arrive at. Can someone help me?

After the wedding, we plan to stay one night in Paris or nice area near CDG before we fly out. Any Paris hotel recommendations or recommendations for a nice hotel closer to CDG? One poster mentioned Chantilly.

Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM

<<<I think we would depart from the Montparnasse train station, but I can't figure out what train station would we arrive at. Can someone help me?<<<

Where do you want to go ?
Brittany is a large area, can you give us the name of the town you want to go to ?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Actually, we've changed our starting point. We are leaving from Chantilly and going to St. Brieuc (in Brittany). Then maybe rent a car, drive to Dinard, and from there take train back to Chantilly.

Any suggestions? What do you think of that versus renting a car at CDG and driving the whole way?

Thank you. Any info is appreciated.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I've taken the train many times from Montparnasse to Saint Malo and then taken the bus to Dinard. It also goes through St Brieuc. It's a 30 minute bus ride between Saint Malo and Dinard and the bus leaves the quay closest to the train station which has recently been remodeled.

Dinard is stupendous! There is a long walk along the ocean and apparently Alfred Hitchcock shot parts of The Birds there.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM

If you're going to rent a car then i'd do it from Chiantilly and back. It's a fairly easy drive from there around the Paris area, stopping by perhaps such lovely places as Giverny - Les Andelys. D-day beaches, or Mont Saint-Michel en route or coming back.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Any ideas on car rental agencies/websites from U.S.? We don't need to buy the extra insurance they try to foist on you, do we?

Any tips for staying in St. Brieuc?

thanks
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.com - 1-800-223-5555).

No one will try to "foist" insurance on you, but I'm sure they (and you) will want to know you're covered for collision damage. If you've covered on the credit card you use to rent the car, that's great, but if you waive it and you're not covered and you crash the car, pretty big problem.....
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM

re extra insurance - check to see if your credit cards provide such coverage.

You don't have to buy anything but what is required to drive in Europe and which has to come with the car rental price. (VAT Value-Added-Tax of 20% or so is often not quoted in the base price so always ask for the total price)

whether or not you should buy CDW ,etc or not is a debate. If you do not some rental agencies in Europe (even if you book thru US agency) may demand you give them a credit card to cover any possible damages - the point then being your card's limit may be insufficient or it would tie up your credit on the card. etc.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM

TGVs take three hours from Paris to St-Brieuc.
The railway to Dinard closed several years ago, but there are buses between Dinard and St-Malo which has a new TGV station.
Chantilly is served by suburban trains from Paris.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM

If you're planning to rent a car in Brittany anyway, it doesn't make sense to me to take the train there from Chantilly.

You'd need to take the RER to Paris from Chantilly (either Gare de Lyon or Gare du Nord), then get yourself to the Gare Montparnasse and take a train. Total travel time 5-6 hours. Total driving time, about 5 hours.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Alfred Hitchcock shot "The Birds" in and around the San Francisco Bay Area--especially in Bodega Bay. Where does the idea of Dinard come from?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:51 PM

If your travel day to Paris is a long one, you might consider picking up a car at CDG, driving to Chantilly and staying the night there. Keep the car throughout your trip in Brittany and return it to CDG. The car rental agency will give you a map & directions so you will be able to navigate your way out of the airport. Also, the roads are well signed!

Brittany is lovely with its rugged coastlines, beautiful countryside & charming villages. So many scenic drives to take!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM

From Wikipedia - Alfred Hitchcock spent many summers in Dinard and based the house used in his most famous movie Psycho on a Villa standing over the Plage D'Ecluse An unexpected statue of Alfred Hitchcock dominates its main access point; standing on a giant egg, with a ferocious-looking bird perched on each shoulder: he was placed here to commemorate the town's annual festival of English-language films.

Well, I knew there was some connection and the filming of The Birds somehow got confused by the townspeople who told me why this statue existed and I just believed it.