Afternoon Tea in the Lake District?

Mar 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Afternoon Tea in the Lake District?

We will be staying in Troutbeck, which is very near to Windermere. I'm not quite sure of our itinerary yet, but I had been wanting to have afternoon tea somewhere in the Lake District. It doesn't have to be in Windermere since I think we will be heading around Grasmere, Ambleside, and perhaps further out.

Any suggestions? I tried to do a search, but I couldn't really find any threads on it.
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM

Topping for you. And, OK, I'm jealous, it doesn't matter where you go! You'll love the Lake District.
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:11 PM

Anna, Im glad to know that you finally settled on a place to stay in the lakes. Im sure youll be happy with Troutbeck.

There are several cafes in Grasmere and Ambleside that offer afternoon tea. Just check them out as you walk around and choose one that appeals to you. The owner of a well-regarded restaurant in Ambleside, Lucy's, also has a small cafe that seems very popular. Another possibility is at Kirkstone Quarries in Skelwith Bridge between Ambleside and Elterwater. There is a photo of it on this link near the end. http://tinyurl.com/r9l3q
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:27 PM

If you want to be pampered in a very English hotel try Sharrow Bay Hotel, not cheap but a wonderful experience.

http://www.sharrowbay.co.uk/
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Moolyn,

I can't believe you remembered my thread! I really appreciated all your advice, and I think we made a good decision on where to stay.

I couldn't find which picture you indicated - would you mind telling me which section it was in?

Also, Lucy's sound's familar - do you remember the name of the cafe and what the price range would be?

Thanks!
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM

Anna, Troutbeck was the clue!

If you click on all albums under the photos, you will find the Loughrigg Tarn and Skelwith Bridge album. The tea shop / restaurant is about the middle photo and it's labelled. Two photos past that is one of a pretty little waterfall, Skelwith Force, that you can easily get to by walking through the Quarry work area and taking the path between the road and the stream for about a hundred yards.

It occurred to me that you might actually be thinking of a more formal, restaurant type tea such as blightlyboy suggested. There are lots of those around too. I've always found that B&B landladies are an excelllent source of recommendations.

In that case, Skelwith Bridge or Lucy`s could be a good lunch spot for you. I thought the place I was thinking of was called Lucys Kitchen but I found a reference for Lucys on a Plate when I googled Amleside eating.
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

moolyn,

Yes, I did have in mind a more formal place, but I'll take your suggestion and be sure to ask our B&B owners.

I do more research about both Lucy's Kitchen and Lucy's on a Plate - do you know if either of these places are expensive? We are on a moderate budget, so I was just wondering.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:10 AM

anna, England is expensive. We've found that often what costs us a dollar in Canada costs us a pound there. We economize by making many of our meals and packing lunches when we travel around because we love the country so much. There are many wonderful English cheeses that I end up eating for breakfast and/or lunch.

There now seem to be four variations of Lucy's but no more Lucy's Kitchen. One of them should fit your budget. http://www.lucysofambleside.co.uk/index.cfm
Jun 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM

You will love the Lakes! -- my favourite cafe is the one in Grange, Borrowdale. It's South of Keswick and absolutely gorgeous. You sit outside on rocks in the garden and are served homemade cakes and tea in the most perfect surroundings!
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM

OK, now we want to hear all about where you went.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM

hopingtotravel: If you mean where Anna1013 went -- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35012850