Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland Itinerary - Highlands or Islands

Jun 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to get some input on the last few days of our trip to Scotland. We'll be in Scotland for 9 days - the first 6 are already pretty well planned (Edinburgh, Loch Lomond, Stirling, St. Andrews, etc.). We are then going north to the Highlands and are currently booked for two nights at the Rowan Tree Hotel in Aviemore. We can either stay with this plan and have a more relaxing end to our trip. Or, we can stay 1 night in the Highlands and then blast our way over towards Skye before we head back to Glasgow and home.
My question is are the islands an absolute must - see? I think my husband and I might enjoy them - but our two sons - 18 and 12 might have a better time in the Highlands.
I greatly appreciate the input!
Jun 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM

The Highlands covers a huge area - and you chose Aviemore?

Anyway - no one can answer for you what is best - 3 days on Skye, or 3 days in the Highlands (somewhere nicer than Aviemore), or 3 days in the NW, or a combination of any of the above would all be great. You won't be able to do much "blasting" which ever you choose.

What sorts of things do you want to see/do?
Jun 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I'm a little confused by your itinerary.
Are you asking whether to spend 2 nights in Aviemore or 1 night there and one night on Skye? You are doing a LOT of moving around, but we had a similar first trip to Scotland (a little bit longer, and we didn't go East, and we spent time in Glasgow) when my girls were 11 and 13. It gave us a taste, and I vowed that I would do nothing but highlands and islands for the next visit!

If you are going to visit Skye, spend at least one night on the island. Go onto Skye via the bridge (beautiful drive along the Five Sisters) and leave Skye via the ferry (the Road to the Isles is also beautiful), or vice versa.

You might want to look at d1carter's recent trip report for a link to their pictures of Skye to help with your decision: http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014346
Jun 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Meant to add:

On balance, I think I'd spend 2 nights somewhere in the Highlands and save Skye for another visit when you're not stretched quite so thin. There are amazing and beautiful things to do and see all over Scotland. You can't do it all, and the highlands are worth your time.

You could post your whole itinerary for suggestions, but with just 9 days you have to make hard choices. Based on the little I know of your plans, I'd personally spend 2 days in Edinburgh, 1 near St. Andrews, and skip Loch Lomond. You can stop at Stirling for a half day on the way somewhere else - and see the castle and maybe the Wallace Monument. I'd give the balance of my time to the West: highlands and/or islands.
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM

scotteve:

It is a tough decision when planning a trip to Scotland. There is just so much to see and do. It is impossible to see it all in one trip of 9 days or so.
We loved The Isle of Skye, including my teenage son. We hiked several beautiful trails and saw a landscape like no other we have ever seen.

The Highlands cover a great deal of territory and there are very few places that you have read or heard about that will disappoint. It is a personal decision sometimes about where to go and what to do. But for my family and I, Skye is a place that we would like to spend some more time exploring.

No matter what you decide, I promise, you will enjoy Scotland.

All the best,

d1
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM

To some extent it depends when you're going. If you're kids are active there's a lot to do in Upper Speyside in the summer- in the winter too, but I'm thinking summer.

Aviemore is hugely improved. It still wouldn't be my pick for a Highland holiday, but with teenage kids, it's probably a good shout. I don't know the hotel, tho'